Need help identifying set I bought

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Rocky Treadway, May 14, 2018.

1. Rocky Treadway

Rocky Treadway New Member

I bought this at a thrift shop because it looked cool. I'm just wondering what it is, and if you think there is a value to it. Something to do with smoking? I don't know. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im guessing maybe a smoking set? Very 70s looking.

Rocky Treadway likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How odd. When I saw the first pic I thought it was a punch bowl with 2 drink cups. But that went out the window when I saw it apart.

How about a few hints - like dimensions, whether the center piece is also hollow like the "cups," whether the interiors of all three are metal lined or not.

The 2 "cups" don't look like ash receivers with the holes in the bottom.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is there something stamped on the plate? Looks like standing metal stub had something more to it that snapped off.

I think its a smoking stand. The broken off bit might have been a trimmer as on this:
    Smoking Stand & Tobacco Chopper Lathe Turned Wood Trenton German-a.jpg

I don't think yours was made to disassemble. Wooden dowels held the pieces in place, but the glue has dried and disintegrated.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  5. Rocky Treadway

Very cool! Thank you guys for the knowledge! I bet that's exactly what it is.

6. Rocky Treadway

And no, there is nothing discernible written anywhere on anything.

7. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum, Rocky!
    Your set reminds me of Sputnik. :greyalien: :droid:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Rocky Treadway

Thank you! Yes it does!

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Rocky.

10. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

Welcome Rocky...what they said .. and also the brass? grooved piece in the foreground is for striking the vestas/matches....regards///pewter2

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

I smoked a pipe when I was in college and used to try lots of different blends. Could the larger container have been used for mixing different tobaccos? The smaller for holding pipes? Like pewter2, I also think the metal is a sticker plate for matches.I can imaging a very cool 60/70's smoking jacket dude using it.:)

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted