Need help identifying sideboard/ buffet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by camcamcameron, Apr 2, 2021.

1. camcamcameron

camcamcameron New Member

IMG_5189.JPG IMG_5192.JPG IMG_5181.JPG IMG_5179.JPG IMG_5194.JPG IMG_5195.JPG Would you be able to tell me some information about this sidetable (or is it a buffet)?
    It is in Canada and I inherited it from my mother who inherited it from a friend.

What style would you call this?
    Approximate year/period it was built?
    Type of wood, type of construction method?

I thought it was in original condition but it does seem to have different colour on the front (like a reddish rub) whereas the top of the inner drawer looks like a walnut finish.
    I'll attach a picture which shows the top looking a different shade that the front and sides.

Although it breaks my heart to part with, a sidetable doesn't fit into a modern urban lifestyle where I will be moving into a 500 square foot studio condo. I'll be eating off of stools at the counter instead of a proper table, but that's beside the point.

I would like help in identifying its value so that I can sell it and purchase something to replace this inheritance piece that is the only valuable piece of furniture I will ever own hehe.

Thanks all!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2021
    judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I would call it a buffet. The wood is quartersawn oak. Roughly 1900 would be my guess on age.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’ve enlarged your photos. Just check the box for Full Images, next time, Thanks :)

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. camcamcameron

camcamcameron New Member

Thanks for that, i need help moderator!

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Sad that you're selling this marvelous Craftsman buffet. As Bakers indicated, it's quarter-sawn oak, although I'd put the date closer to 1915. Early 20th century in any case. Value depends on where you are and the market there.

Perhaps storage would work, or a relative? After all, a small urban apartment is temporary, but a piece like this is unlikely to be replaceable down the line, should you ever desire more roomy accommodations in the future.

camcamcameron, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a versatile piece. TV stand? Dresser?

Debora

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not terribly valuable but better quality than what you can buy today for similar money. In my Midwest neck of the woods, maybe $150.00 on a good day. The missing original hardware hurts this. You might do better (or worse) depending on where you reside.

8. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I just bought a very similar one for DS and DDL's new house:

server.jpg

i need help likes this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I thought that little bit of applied carved wood trim on the doors was unusual. I guess not!

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It stands out nicely with the brick, very tasteful and charming. :happy:

11. camcamcameron

camcamcameron New Member

Thanks for the estimate verybrad. I was just afraid to let it go cheap if it were worth close to $1,000 and I was just unaware. It's hard to separate sentimental value from realistic selling price too.

12. camcamcameron

camcamcameron New Member

Great. Thanks for the descriptive terms.

Draft saved Draft deleted