Need help identifying these likely Asian autographed photos.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Sfrog11, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Sfrog11

Sfrog11 New Member

AA826F94-D0EF-47A8-8524-CA0F72EF4D6D.jpeg A58B06CC-E96F-4A5B-BCAA-FC52D0CF0BC7.jpeg 016B0D36-FE0F-410D-B449-35806486C1CC.jpeg I think there could be actors/actresses around the 1950 time period. I’ve had a hard time identifying their faces.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2021
    kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @Sfrog11, and WELCOME! Your pictures are interesting, and I can't help with identifying, although others may be of help! But I would like to suggest, for future reference, that once you have your images all loaded to the site, to click on the very TOP image that says to "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS A FULL IMAGE"....that way we ALL see them as FULL size images without clicking on small thumbnails.....just about all newbies do the same thing, so not to worry! I'll do it this time.........​

AA826F94-D0EF-47A8-8524-CA0F72EF4D6D.jpeg

A58B06CC-E96F-4A5B-BCAA-FC52D0CF0BC7.jpeg

016B0D36-FE0F-410D-B449-35806486C1CC.jpeg

kyratango likes this.
  3. Sfrog11

Sfrog11 New Member

Thank you for all your help and fixing this for me, greatly appreciated.

kyratango likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Have you removed them from their frames? The frames don't appear to have anything to do with the images.) You don't give sizes but they appear to be kabuki postcards. (I see one has a series number.) Have you tried searching eBay for duplicates?

Debora

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

6. Sfrog11

Sfrog11 New Member

The back of what I would agree are probably post cards like material. They are pretty thick. I will upload more photos of the backs. When I examined the backs, I only found what I thought were prices that someone had put on there before. One was 218.00, 19.00, and 19.50. I did check eBay and even scanned searched the photos using google, I was reluctant to find anything but one actor that may resemble one of the photos.
    Thank you for your help!

kyratango and bercrystal like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Frustrating I imagine. And yet, someone familiar with kabuki theater might very likely be able to identify them. Are the photographs roughly postcard sized?

Debora

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    bercrystal likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This looks like the dance being performed in the first photograph. 'Fuji Musume' or 'Wisteria Maiden.' (Here, the actor is Nakamura Tokizo.)

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 11.13.19 AM.jpeg

bercrystal and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks, bercrystal. I can't help on this one. I know of a few Japanese film actors, like Toshiro Mifune (none of these are pics of him). I think these are likely to be Japanese stage performers, and I know nothing about them.

The photo cards themselves may date to the mid (maybe early) 20th century. That's about all I can say.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted