Need help identifying this Antique Mirrored Vanity Dressing Table!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by mcoppedg, Dec 12, 2016.

1. mcoppedg

mcoppedg New Member

Picked up this super cool mirrored vanity for my wife for christmas but have no idea when it might have been made, by what company or if it has any value. I have knowledge of other types of furniture, but can't find any comparable dressing tables like this one.

It is mirrored on the center table portion (base and 3 surrounding sides) and on the fronts of both doors. Both doors have an inlaid/etched under the glass design in the center of each. The mirrors are all aged.

The piece is wood, but there is a finish over the wood that is an off-white brush stroked design (seems like a thin coating of something). Inside the cabinet, some of the finish is chipping off and is very thin and brittle. There is gold trim and a couple of designs on the front in the wood.

It is all one piece and can't be taken apart (mirror, sides and middle). They are all permanently attached together. I don't see any furniture maker markings or anything.

Any help in identifying this piece would be greatly appreciated! It is super unique and goes perfectly with our new hollywood regency designed bedroom!

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      930.5 KB
      Views:
    lauragarnet and cxgirl like this.
  2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I think it is marvelous and dead on Hollywood Regency! My inexpert opinion is that this is circa late 1930's/early 40's "glamour" - with the proviso that the finish and mirrors are original and not something added to an earlier piece.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    lauragarnet likes this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Looks like retro 50's - no idea what it was actually used for though!

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im with Mansons on the time,though I wonder,how do you open it? Are there handles we just cant see?

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. mcoppedg

mcoppedg New Member

Missing handles, midway down on each door. I just went and picked up some glass knobs to open. I will post some additional closeups in a few minutes. Everything seems to be very original. The shelves and drawers inside have the same finish as the outside of the piece.

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. mcoppedg

mcoppedg New Member

Some additional photos. You can see the closeup of the brush stroke finish, the age of mirrors and the drawers in the cabinet. There are a couple of shelves with shelf peg holes in the cabinets also.

There was also one cabinet pull in one of the drawers, but no idea whether or not it came from this piece or not.

IMG_5063.JPG IMG_5064.JPG IMG_5066.JPG IMG_5067.JPG IMG_5069.JPG IMG_5071.JPG IMG_5072.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think 40s is probably about right. Hollywood Regency in today's terminology. Maybe Italian or French but wouldn't rule out American. Just not sure who would have made something like this here.

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted