Need help identifying this chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Donna B, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Donna B

Donna B New Member

Would love some help in identifying this chair’s style, history, origin, age, etc. It’s such an unusual chair, and we’d love to get an idea of what it’s past life looked like!
    BE01E930-E73F-43FF-BBEA-EE405BB51849.jpeg 1732DF49-5D66-4A6E-A60B-EF0E28CEB4B2.jpeg 368CB2C5-CF5B-4FF2-AB41-980828CA98C5.jpeg B6E93724-297C-4B5D-BBDA-835CC445FAB3.jpeg 5CAD91AF-ACAE-40F9-A504-91CA2FD40712.jpeg
    Thank you!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Donna B

Donna B New Member

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

only Mods can delete threads.........just leave it be...and wait for some answers to come in.......;):)

Donna B likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Images really need to be larger than 18k or 27k for us to be able to get a good clear, clean look at them, for future reference!! I've enlarged these for starters though.....I'm wondering if it just might be a theatre based reproduction??? Initially I didn't think I saw any quality in the wood....but wait for others to chime in....as I could be way off base!!! First image was the smallest and is a bit blurry!

5CAD91AF-ACAE-40F9-A504-91CA2FD40712-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpeg

368CB2C5-CF5B-4FF2-AB41-980828CA98C5-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpeg

B6E93724-297C-4B5D-BBDA-835CC445FAB3-gigapixel-scale-2_50x.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Donna B

Donna B New Member

7. Donna B

Donna B New Member

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice and quirky chair, Donna. It is 'Historic Revival', probably late 19th century.
    Looks French to me, but @Ghopper1924 may correct me on that.;)

Personally I wouldn't do anything to it except some gentle tlc like wax, and give it a nice cushion.

Donna B likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Spam reported.
    Forum ini tidak dimaksudkan untuk beriklan!!!

komokwa likes this.
  10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Difficult to tell the wood species because of the dark staining, but would guess oak. Yes, a late 19th century/early 20th century revival piece. I would imagine that it was associated with some kind of institution, like a university or fraternal order; It could even be a theater piece as @Aquitaine suggested. Value would be minimal due to missing decorative pieces and overall wear.

Donna B and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson Well-Known Member

As Ghopper said.
    I knew I saw it already somewhere and then I remembered. This one is pretty similar, its from a book on furniture making

20201109_143908.jpg

Any Jewelry, komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  12. Donna B

Donna B New Member

Oh my gosh, that’s the same chair! So it this a more recent book, so likely this chair isn’t very old?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. Matt Johnson

Oh no no, it's an old book printed in those days when such furniture was considered 'modern and fashionable'.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. Donna B

Donna B New Member

Wow, that’s amazing that you actually found a picture of this style in the book!!! I’m so impressed and very grateful for you sharing - thank you so much❣️

komokwa and Matt Johnson like this.
  15. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Similar yes, the same no. Compare the legs.

komokwa likes this.
  16. Matt Johnson

Well obviously, besides mine has a queen Victoria monogram and the other one a simple shield.
    However it doesn't make it less original, there were many variations and this is just one of them. Those legs on the @Donna B one are original to the piece.
    You could have ordered simpler designs which costed less of course. It's the same with furniture nowadays.

Donna B likes this.
  17. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Matt, my quote was from Donna B, was just pointing out to her that they aren't exactly the same.

komokwa likes this.
  18. Matt Johnson

I know, I'm just explaining lol I meant no harm.
    Late Victorian furniture was pre made in factories, they simply combined elements.

Donna B and komokwa like this.
  19. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Hey Matt, @Matt Johnson , what book is that from and when was it first published? I don't have any victorian books, only the old classic Chippendale, Sheraton, etc. If you found it online, could you provide a link?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Donna B likes this.
  20. Matt Johnson

20201111_012901.jpg
    I have a PDF version of the book, the front page says mdcccliii=1853 but I think this is a later version cause some of the designs look a bit too early for that time

I JUST FOUND IT ONLINE! Ill post a link in a new thread so people can find it easier!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Jeff Drum and Donna B like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted