Need help Identifying this desk please ?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by LUCY, Dec 4, 2017.

1. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That was fast! So, how long have you had it? Purchase or inheritance? If, inherited, any knowledge from the prior owner?

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

I bought it at a thrift shop a couple of days ago? It is really beautiful. has minor scratches and small piece of scroll missing but unnoticeable unless you look closely. Do you know what it is> what it may be worth?

4. Bakersgma

It looks like a ladies writing desk to me (although others may have a better-informed opinion.) Another alternative would be a vanity, but if there is no evidence of a previously attached mirror on the back, then not a vanity.

From the partial label, it may have been made by the Bethlehem Furniture Manufacturing Company which was a family business, started in 1920 and now defunct. I found a 1990's obit for one of the Presidents and it sounded like the company still existed at that time. The label graphics and fonts say 1930's - 60's? to me, but I have not yet found others online to compare.

You want to be on the lookout for comments from @verybrad who is our resident furniture guru. He would also have advice on care and repair.

5. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

Oh! That is awesome. Thank you so much Bakersgma. And it does not have any evidence of mirror so it is desk. So helpful. Hope to chat with you again.

Lucy

6. Bakersgma

It looks very nice. Did you need a desk?

7. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

No. I just bought it because it appealed to me.

8. Bakersgma

9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Of course she needed a desk! She just didn't know it at the time!

That's how I got my 5' tall gold leaf mirror...and the antique, hand-painted, room divider...and the fabulous print of The Recruiting Sergeant...and...well, I could go on.

And on, and on...

judy, Bronwen, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  10. silverthwait

11. silverthwait

And, Lucy, "this way madness lies." :) Have fun!

judy and Bronwen like this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Info. given above excellent. In the style of a French Louis XV writing desk.

judy, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  13. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

Thanks Verybrad. Do you know what it may be worth?

judy likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

While members here may from time to time suggest at an items value , it helps first to know where the item is located, what method of sale you're interested in , and if other similar items have been seen to be sold online or at auction.

judy likes this.
  15. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

The item was found in and is in northern New Jersey. If I were a to sell I guess I would put it on eBay? Or take offers from anyone interested? Because I didn't know what to look for I sought out information from a knowlagable base. Any value information that can be provided is greatly appreciated. I hope I am not breaking any rules. I am new at this type of blog forums.

Thanks in advance
    Lucy

judy likes this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Obviously now you need the chair.

judy likes this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

No...not breaking any rules, although if you wish to entertain offers here , there is a SELL forum you should use.;)
    It's just that if someone were to come forward with an estimate , here, it would be a guess-timate and would involve knowing as much as possible about the item....so as not to lead you astray. :(
    If you use eBay....are you prepared to ship this puppy, or would a pick up be called for ?
    Are there auction houses nearby who would accept such an item?
    You see....there are considerations..:):)

judy likes this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Here in my semi-rural Midwest location, I would probably need to be under $200 to sell this. You might do better in NJ, being close to NYC. Craigsliist or facebook marketplace might be viable sales venues without fees. Ebay with local pick up would probably work for where you are as well.

judy likes this.
  19. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

I just want to say thank you very much to all of your responses I greatly appreciate the input. This is a great forum for newbies like me. And it's really nice to know that you're so willingly to share information.

I look forward to continuing with you.
    God bless,
    Lucy

Bakersgma, silverthwait and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted