Need help identifying this Rocking Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Ksea, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Ksea

Ksea New Member

Hi,
    My older wonderful neighbor just asked if I could use "my machine" to help him figure out what kind of rocking chair this is. I've searched, but can't find an exact match. You people really seem to know your stuff! Any chance someone can help with the style/age? I'm assuming no value since it looks like it's been painted/stained. There are no nails, but pegs.
    Thanks you so much!

Attached Files:

kyratango likes this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

19th century ladder back, value is minimal as single chairs rarely sell for much unless an outstanding example or historical importance.

3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

James Conrad, I'm just curious but . . . how in the world can you tell that is a 19th century chair.

Is it the wood?

Is it the woven seat (but what if the seat has been replaced at some point since the 1800s)?

Is it what you estimate its "size" to be?

judy and James Conrad like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

To put it into perspective yourturn,lets say there were 40 million people in this country when that chair was made.Most everyone except the poorest of poor had a chair.Or six or ten . Even in the 19th century,there were millions of these being made every year.They werent expensive when new.Theres zillions of them. Thats why they arent valuable. That being said,its really hard to tell from your pic,but I think it might be a country made piece,wich still wouldnt increase value by much.In my humble opinion.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Figtree3, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Johnnycb09, thank you for your response to my questions. You did a good job "explaining" it. ;)

judy, James Conrad and Fid like this.
  6. James Conrad

Well, the way the legs/feet are attached to the rockers, the turnings and the woven splint seat all make it "likely" it was made sometime in the 19th century. As @johnnycb09 said, literally 10s of millions were made so unless it has some other outstanding feature (like belonged to a famous person) value is limited.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  7. James Conrad

OTOH @yourturntoloveit, here is a 19th century Shaker elder's rocker #7 that sold for $2200. at Willis Henry.
    Very similar form ladder back but also, very "different" as well.

shaker rocker.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Very "different" indeed!

Simple elegance at it's best!

9. James Conrad

Yes, it is all about the details!

Draft saved Draft deleted