Featured need help identifying unknown silver ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Aleksandar Ristic, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Aleksandar Ristic

Aleksandar Ristic New Member

My friend bought this ring at an antique gathering in Belgrade, the seller didn't know where it came from or how old is it, does anyone recognize where the symbols come from?

[​IMG]

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Well, probably a family or organizational or location's crest or shield? I remember visiting a site online that offered a look-up/search way to identify crests and combinations thereof. I'll see if I can find it before somebody else beats me to it, or recognizes the crest outright.
    Meanwhile, hola, and welcome to the Forums!
    Edit - I just Googled "identifying crests" and lots of places popped up, so if nobody has any better ideas (which they probably will!) you might start there. Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  3. Aleksandar Ristic

I will try one of those, ty.

KingofThings and GaleriaGila like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The crest in the lower rank seems to contain emblems representing Bosnia (upper left), Serbia (lower left), and Croatia (right).

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I *KNEW* somebody would spot it and know something!!!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Hmmmm... a Slobodan Milošević avatar! :( The symbols on the ring range from top left: an angel holding a scale in left hand or a winged something with farm animals (goose, pig..) at his feet??; top middle: crowned eagle; top right: guardian angel leading a child; bottom left: 2 crosses separated by a wing; bottom middle some sort of a coat-of-arms with crosses in top left field, bottom left: 4 crosses, full right side of diamonds/spears/?; bottom right: looks like a saint with a staff in his right hand and carrying a child in his left arm - possibly St. Christopher. None of these symbols/heraldic devices seem to be used in the the coat-of-arms of Belgrade, Yugoslavia or any of the entities that made up Yugoslavia like Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia, etc....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emblem_of_Yugoslavia

As that corner of the world was once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, I'm surprised that the eagle isn't a double headed. I have gone on and on with possible description of the ring with absolutely no help on IDing it. Sorry.

--- Susan

7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

WOW! This thing really grabs my interest!

8. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

After posting the above reply, have now seen Moreotherstuff with references to Bosnia, Serbia and Croatia. Taking a second look at their coat-of-arms, I see Bosnia does have stars which I guess the top left field is rather than crosses. The bottom left looks like 4 crosses but guess it could be the 4 whatever that are on the Serbia coat-of-arms shield. The right side looks like diamonds or spears, but guess it could be the checkerboard on the Croatia shield.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emblem_of_Yugoslavia#Republic_emblems

Good IDing MoreOtherStuff!!

--- Susan

Edit: that crowned eagle seems to be perched on 3 mountain peaks. The coat-of-arms of Slovenia has 3 mountain peaks. You could always say it was worn by Tito!

yourturntoloveit and GaleriaGila like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I agree that it probably adds up to some expression of Yugoslavia, but I don't see that particular crest is a search. Maybe an older one? Maybe a specific town or institution?

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

or it may be a friendship ring...uniting all those warring countries...?

11. Aleksandar Ristic

Thanks for the feedback guys, but I highly doubt this is a Yugoslav crest, the seller would most likely know exactly where and what year it came from if it was from the 1918-1941 monarchy because our antique market is overstocked with such things. And it looks much older then a 100 years to me cause its so worn out, jewelery from that time is usually very well preserved and rich in detail unlike this ring. Jewel crafting in the late 19th and 20th century was actually very advanced, this piece doesn't just doesn't fit in.

Edit: I just noticed that the links some of you guys posted are showing Communist Yugoslav symbols, I am 100% sure that this is not from any communist country, if it is a Yugoslav ring it is from the monarchy.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  12. Aleksandar Ristic

Thanks for the effort Susan, you reminded me I forgot to mention that the eagle (upper middle square) is almost definitely the coat of arms of Italian province L'Aquila. You can see that both eagles have a mountain with 3 peaks below them.
    [​IMG]
    And by the way, whats wrong with Slobodan Milošević? :p

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Then the question becomes: what is the connection between L'Aquila (a city in central Italy) and that particular group of Balkan states (or whatever family or institution is represented by that crest).

14. komokwa

All depends on who's history you read......
    Serb history , he's a hero
    World history, he's a villain

Ladybranch likes this.
  15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

He`s dead.

Ladybranch and komokwa like this.
  16. Aleksandar Ristic

Why does there have to be a connection? Because it was bought in Belgrade? It could be just an italian ring

17. Aleksandar Ristic

It's not that simple, there are a lot of people in Serbia who believe in American bullshit and think he's a dictator. But lets not turn this into a political debate

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I
    I doubt that all that imagery is coincidental or merely decorative.

19. komokwa

Yes, on this site we don't engage in politics, but your avatar will elicit a strong reaction on one side or the other.

& BTW , I'm a Canadian....from Canada ....a totally different country than the USA, & during the Balkans conflict , our peacekeepers fought to protect both vulnerable Serbian & Muslim safe areas.
    So as for bullshit, I'll believe the Canadian military version.

20. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Been thinking about it, and I suppose this could be just a bunch of heraldic bric-a-brac cobbled together to look impressive. But I'd prefer to believe there's more to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted