Need help identifying Vintage Silk/Fur Ladies Top Hat Logo

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lee Williams, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Lee Williams

Lee Williams New Member

I have a Ladies Silk/Fur Top Hat that I'm trying to Identify the Maker and trying to figure out the age. It could be Fur/Silk, The logo Crest appears to be two Rearing Horses on the sides and a Lion on the top. There appears to be text across the top but can't make it out.

Attached Files:

SBSVC likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Likely beaver. And appears to be a Victorian women's riding topper. Would you post a close-up of the writing above lion please?

Debora

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Christmasjoy, SBSVC and komokwa like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lee, it's a very traditional DRESSAGE HAT. These are still being made and worn in competition today. (They are now considered rather controversial, as they offer no protection in the event of a fall.)

Figtree3, Bakersgma, bluumz and 4 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh Ya...that hat could really get bust up if it falls off !!! :playful::playful::playful:

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Well, doh, Komo - we know that's not the point!

Did you see this?
    Canadian equestrian rider Katharine Morel, horse Kerry On die following fall in competition
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mo...ng-fall-in-competition/ar-BB10BkgF?li=BBnb7Kz

I highly doubt she was wearing a top hat in this stage of the competition (she was NOT injured during Dressage) but still... How SAD! (And WAY to close to home, since my daughter competed in these events for so many years...)

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That would, of course, depend on how old it is. Dressage is a sport that women didn't practice until fairly recently. Identifying the maker would help us determine both age and usage.

Debora

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Yes, very true...

Dressage become an Olympic Sport in the 1912 Olympic Games in Stockholm with only commissioned military officers eligible to compete until 1952 when the rules changed to allow both civilian men and women to compete.
    https://equine-world.co.uk/info/equestrian-sports/dressage/history-of-dressage

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Jesus....I apologize........I didn't mean to upset you with a little word play !!

SBSVC likes this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Oh, don't worry, Komo! I'm okay!

komokwa likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

IF THAT "action" was SO VERY DANGEROUS, WHY in God's Name, would whoever approves those things, APPROVE DOING IT!!! IMHO, that's sheer insanity!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

BFF does dressage, she wears a helmet. The rules are very strict here now:

• Hats that are completely mirrored are not permitted.
    • Top hats or uniform caps are permitted only for advanced to grand prix classes for riders aged 26 and over. This is for the warm up only directly prior to the competition (which may include riding from horsebox park/stable to warm up arena) and the competition test.
    • If a hat comes off during a dressage test, it must be replaced immediately; the rider may dismount or the hat may be handed to them. The test will be restarted at the beginning of the movement during which it came off. There will be no penalty for error of course, but if the hat is not replaced the Judge is to eliminate the competitor.
    • Organisers may require that riders under the age of 21 wear protective hats at all levels. This will be stipulated in the schedule. Organisers may also prescribe venue-specific rules that are stricter than stated here which will be clearly shown in their schedules.
    • It is strongly recommended that members wear hats bearing the BSI kitemark in addition to the published safety standard.
    • Harnesses must be correctly fastened at all times whilst mounted.
    • Competitors are strongly recommended to check their hats regularly and to replace them if damaged, or following a fall.
    • If a rider starts their test without wearing the correct headgear, the judge is to ring the bell and instruct the rider to dismount and leave the arena. At the discretion of the organiser and the judge, the rider may restart the test once properly attired. If a rider fails to comply with the instruction, the organiser is to eliminate the competitor from all classes on that day. This will also apply if, as a result of a spot-check, a rider’s hat is found not to comply with the required standard.

SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted