Need help identifying what style/type dresser this is...

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by PflugLife, Aug 25, 2018.

1. PflugLife

PflugLife New Member

Hello! I'm brand new here. I was hoping someone could help me ID what kind of dresser this is. At first I thought Louis XV, but then second-guessed myself. I'm really a novice at this so thought I'd ask the pros. Bonus round if anyone can help point me in the direction of how to find out who made it. Only markings I've found on the piece is either a "1394" or "1390" stamped on the back. I have no idea from what time period it's from either, but I do think it's made of oak.

So in a nutshell, can you tell me basically everything I should know about this dresser? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

#1...it has a mirror...so we can see you ! ;)
    #2...i'm not the furniture guy....but i'm just throwing this out there....it looks like my folks furniture...so I'll say circa 1950's.:rolleyes:
    #3....next time u post pics hit the FULL IMAGE button...so folks on their phones can see the photo's full size.:):)
    #4....it's lovely.
    #5....it's Brown Furniture...which is really depressed in value these days.
    #6... folks will want to see pics of the drawers....& any marks on the locks.
    #7.... it's a woman's dresser...around here called a lowboy....sometimes.
    #8 ...the numbers are the makers...and mean nothing to us.

That's not everything......but it's a start !!! :happy::happy:

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and Nvntivs like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome PflugLife.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi PflugLife! Welcome to Antiquers!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Hi, it might also help if you let people know how you'd acquired it -- whether it's been in the family, from auction, whatever. Furniture people will be along, but closer shots of handles, etc., will be useful, too. Welcome to the group. There is heaps to learn here and that's for sure :)

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I first thought 1920s French style reproduction,but now Im thinking more 1960s. Its a very pretty dresser.

7. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

+1; late 20 th century repro.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

9. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi PflugLife and welcome.

Christmasjoy and PflugLife like this.
  10. PflugLife

PflugLife New Member

11. PflugLife

PflugLife New Member

12. PflugLife

PflugLife New Member

IMG_20180825_135014.jpg IMG_20180825_135048.jpg

Attached Files:

13. PflugLife

PflugLife New Member

14. PflugLife

PflugLife New Member

15. PflugLife

PflugLife New Member

I am so sorry for the sloppy upload/reply but I had to resize all the photos. There may be some duplicates, too. Anyway, I took photos of every angle/nook/feature I could think of. I'm just now realizing that I didn't take close-ups of the keyhole, or the key. Both are original as best I can tell. Let me know if those would be helpful. Thanks!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. PflugLife

PflugLife New Member

Thank you!

17. PflugLife

PflugLife New Member

Thanks!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. PflugLife

PflugLife New Member

Sure thing. I'll post below so everyone can see. Thank you!

19. PflugLife

PflugLife New Member

I was trying my best to find out through google/google images, but that's really hard to do if you don't know the terminology. Best I was able to match it up was Louis XV-style what with the curved outer legs and feet and the embellishments. But almost all the examples I found online were far more ornate than this piece. Then I got confused on what the difference between a commode, dresser, chest drawers were and eventually just gave up. So here I am ;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. PflugLife

PflugLife New Member

"Hi, it might also help if you let people know how you'd acquired it -- whether it's been in the family, from auction, whatever. Furniture people will be along, but closer shots of handles, etc., will be useful, too. Welcome to the group. There is heaps to learn here and that's for sure :)"

This was in my parents' household in Houston, TX since I was kid, my sister used it all the way through high school.

It wasn't passed down from anyone in our family, it was bought by my parents at some point. Dad says likely in New Orleans on Royal St. in the early 80's, around the time my older sister was born. They went there all the time. My mother knew every detail of every antique in her home, it's history, where she bought it, how much she paid for it, etc., but she passed away in 2016. I asked Dad for more details, but he just chuckled and said he usually couldn't remember a trip to New Orleans the week afterwards, let alone 35 years later. But if you know Royal St., you know there's a thousand antique shops on that tiny little street anyway so there's no way anyone could remember.

Anyway, I came to have it when my wife and I bought our first house. Just a year earlier my parents retired and moved to the country and a smaller home, so Mom was looking to gift/sell/consign a lot of the larger pieces she had no sentimental attachment to. She knew my wife liked it, especially if we wound up having a daughter one day, so she gave it to us. Long story short, we had a little boy. So it's been in our guest room for years now.

We're not sure what our plans for it are. We're redecorating so it felt as good a time as any to at least learn about it before deciding to keep it or not. I have an endless number of things in my home to remember my Mom by so I have no sentimental attachment to this piece, but it is beautiful.

Draft saved Draft deleted