Featured Need help indentifying

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Paulius, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Paulius

Paulius New Member

Hello, maybe someone knows trade mark of silver??? spoons probably end of XIX century? Thank you Spoon 2.jpg Spoon 1.jpg

2. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Everyone one here is very help but they will need to see the markings on the spoons in order to help. Unless you get lucky and someone recognizes the pattern.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What you have shown us is a monogrammed handle, but not the maker's mark. Lovely spoons, but unlikely to be identified without a picture of the actual marks.

komokwa, Figtree3 and giulissa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Those are weird......
    the monogram is on the wrong side and what looks like a makers mark...or silver mark...could be right above the bowl...on the front...?????

NEED better pics !!!

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Actually normal for Europe (Monogram on "the back") but not unknown elsewhere. I hesitated to suggest that a small "spot" (which I saw as potential reflection) in each spoon bowl might be the maker's mark - IF the spoons are French. French maker's marks are almost always pressed into the bowl of spoons and the area just below the tines of forks. Didn't want to confuse the issue if those really were just reflections.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  6. Paulius

Paulius New Member

Thank you all for answers and for your time, I got offer to buy these spoons, I will ask for more pictures.

kyratango likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It seems unusual that the pattern on the back is just as well detailed as the pattern on the back. Is that very common?

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

There are some patterns, usually the very ornate ones, that have designs on both front & back. I do not know for sure, but it would seem that this would be a more expensive manufacturing process so I doubt it is done much today unless it is extremely high end.

Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Bakersgma

It isn't common, but it sure is nice when it happens!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted