Need Help Name, Desc and Translation Tu Bibis Ipse Gemo

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by acvintage, Aug 30, 2020.

1. acvintage

acvintage Member

Need help with what to call this, era and translation. Blue and ivory thick woven item measuring 36-3/4"W x 73-1/2"L.

Latin "tu bibis ipse gemo" translates to "you drinking the sigh". Is there a better way to translate this?

Both ends have same pattern. Looks reversible except for the lettering. Actually looks better on the reverse side. I was wondering if this is Italian. And what is it? Looks too thick and heavy to be a shawl.

The last image is the reverse side. Thx for any help.

ipso83020_001.JPG

ipso83020_002.JPG

ipso83020_003.JPG

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The internet says (translating from Latin into Italian into English):

"You drink, (while) I just cry, I grieve."

Debora

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Figtree3 likes this.
  3. acvintage

acvintage Member

Thank you, Debora. Any idea what to call this?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're probably already discovered that the quote is associated with the Italian poet Pascoli and the island of Sicily. I don't do numbers but could it possibly work as a table covering?

Debora

Figtree3 and acvintage like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Table runner?? NOPE.....just re-checked dimensions!! ALMOST a single bed size coverlet????

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a possibility then.

Debora

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I got curious about the Latin motto. As Debora says, it is associated with the Italian poet Giovanni Pascoli (1855-1912). He grew up in San Mauro Pascoli, in northeastern Italy (not Sicily). He is reported to have been fond of the small church of the Madonna dell'Acqua which was near his home. I have found a post on facebook where a fellow asks about the same motto - tu bibis ipse gemo - appearing on the church above the doorways. The church was built in 1616, but was renovated after extensive damage during WWII. I cannot determine for sure if the motto was on the church during Pascoli's lifetime, and would have inspired his use of the saying, or if it was added to the church during the renovation in honor of the local poet. I also cannot find detailed enough photos to confirm the inscription is on the church. (The facebook poster does not make clear whether the inscriptions are on the exterior or interior.)

It is often difficult to translate an idiomatic saying.The best translation I found was "You drink from my pain", which seems more appropriate for the Madonna. Pascoli used the motto on the cover of the 1903 first edition of his "Canti del Castelvecchio", and it also appears on internal pages in later editions.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Figtree3 and acvintage like this.
  8. acvintage

acvintage Member

Wow. Thank you for all that info, 2manybooks. So this might be a religious textile?

Recently saw something with a bird on a stag. I'll have to find that.

2manybooks likes this.
  9. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi @acvintage

It sounds so "sad"!

I'm thinking coffin cover... and the work; although appears to be machine made, is probably Assisi work... which is Italian in origin.

Assisi work uses a method known as voiding in which stitching fills the background while the motif itself is left blank. Usually cross stitches...but I think this may qualify also.

Cheerio Leslie

Aquitaine, Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
  10. acvintage

acvintage Member

Yes! I also thought it sounded sad and so might be a coffin cover because of the shape and motto. You're helping me lean in that direction. I originally thought this would be a nice bed throw to place at foot of bed but the motto bothered me for that use.

Came out of a lot with quite a few Assisi and other Italian textiles. I was leaning toward "hand woven" so thanks for the info on machine made.

AC

2manybooks likes this.
  11. acvintage

acvintage Member

This is where I'm at after contacting my Italian mentor.

Part of her response: "This is hand-weaving from the Italian town of Perugia in Umbria. (Sometimes spelled "Perusia” on old linens.)

My personal translation would be "One drinks and cries". Ha! I have no sense that this is ecclesiastic. Rather a table cloth for a long table. Just thoughts."

I started researching and sure enough, the "Perugia" info seems to be heading me in the right direction as I saw quite a few items that were similar (although haven't found anything with a motto).

The motto seems very open to interpretation. I contacted a site in Italy who gives classes on this type of weaving with similar looking items to ask about the motto but no word back...

Thanks to all of you who pitched in. Any further comments are welcome.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  12. 2manybooks

I found a few more occurrences of the motto, but none predating its use by Giovanni Pascoli in 1903 (so far). It occurs in a poem by Marco Gnecchi, "Memento", published in La Rassegna Nazionale vol. 158, in 1907. On a well house (?) at the Villa di Lozio in Vallecamonica in northern Italy. And it has been found carved into a rock face in the Alps near the Austrian border, associated with a 1927 inscription made by Italian soldiers (!). "On another rock you can read the Latin inscription: TU BIBIS IPSE GEMO (You drink, but I sigh myself), the meaning of which can unfortunately no longer be determined."
    https://translate.google.com/transl...nschriften-im-pfossental/&prev=search&pto=aue

(original site: https://suedtiroler-freiheit.com/2015/11/01/faschistische-alpinitafel-und-inschriften-im-pfossental/)

[​IMG]
    https://valcamonica.wordpress.com/2...cqua-expo2015-itineraribresciacontest-latino/

The motto seems to have struck a chord, of some sort, in the early 20th century. But its significance has been forgotten. It seems to be used to express the anguish of a poet in the creative process - or something like that - where the reader/listener benefits from his painful labors. It is also associated with a "source", expressed as a fountain.

Pascoli was a classicist and Latin instructor, as well as a poet, so he may be the original author of the motto. Its popularity seems to be restricted to the early 20th century, which may be helpful in dating your textile.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

@acvintage - I can see it as a long table cover too. And yes, hand woven... makes perfect sense! I'm enjoying your research!

Leslie

14. acvintage

acvintage Member

I am so loving your research on this motto, @2manybooks. I came up with some of the same a while back but yours goes much deeper and is really helping. Wouldn't it be something if this table runner was custom made for Pascoli. Ha!

Meanwhile, my hand is ready to fall off from all my internet detecting ...

15. 2manybooks

I just wish I could read Italian. Google translate leaves much to be desired.

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Regardless, I love the piece and the coloring!!!! Lovely keepsake!! And GREAT searching/research all of you!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted