Featured Need help on a pair of art glass vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jingyel, Sep 19, 2021.

1. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

Hello,

I just found this pair of art glass vase in a local estate sale. I wonder if anyone could give some clue of origin and age? Thank you in advance.
    Regards
    Jing 15A679AE-7215-470E-8AF5-748B3CDC58BC.jpeg ADB174B5-17B1-4EE1-B7AE-1745D1874A44.jpeg 342B1D03-9D7A-48C9-BDB4-ACD8C4DF9AF4.jpeg

2. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

There is no mark on the surface, brass fittings on the bottom

judy likes this.
  3. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous ! Id guess Victorian,maybe 1870s -80s. Isnt this called pate sur pate ?

5. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Never heard that term. Just looked it up, thanks Johnny. *thumbs-up* :)

judy, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not pate-sur-pate, which is a ceramic process, but an imitation thereof. Enamel painted and fired onto glass. Gets lumped together under the banner "Mary Gregory".

(There is a glass process called Pate-de-verre, but this isn't that either.)

johnnycb09, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Well, ok, looking at the base again... are these glass or ceramic? The treatment looks so very Mary Gregory and the body looks so glassy that I leaped to a conclusion. I would still say not pate-sur-pate, but fired-on enamel (regardless of the body material).

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Glass enamel on blue milk glass and very nice too. I'd think one of the better Stourbridge makers.

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted