need help on some vintage porcelain teacup sets

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jingyel, Apr 22, 2021.

1. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

Hello, I bought a case of vintage teacup sets.
    Some are marked as Limoges, some are either not marked or with marks I cannot identify. Attached, please find the photos. I wonder if you could help me to identify?
    Thanks for your comments IMG_4867.jpg IMG_4868.jpg IMG_4871.jpg IMG_4872.jpg IMG_4873.jpg IMG_4874.jpg IMG_4875.jpg IMG_4876.jpg IMG_4867.jpg IMG_4868.jpg IMG_4871.jpg IMG_4872.jpg IMG_4873.jpg IMG_4874.jpg IMG_4875.jpg IMG_4876.jpg IMG_4877.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Mercer is the name of the hobbyist who painted the 2 with that name on them.

3. jingyel

4. Bakersgma

The ones you added were no doubt also hobbyist painted, but were not signed. A lot were not.

judy and TraceyB like this.
  5. jingyel

By "hobbyist" you mean the porcelain was not painted by the manufacture, instead someone bought the plain porcelain and painted on it as hobby?

TraceyB likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Correct. Many women in the US had this hobby in the period circa 1900.

7. jingyel

I see. I just wonder if there is still collective or market value on those porcelain teacups?

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

My SIL's mom was a porcelain hobby painter much more recently. I think she took classes, did it for years and she was still painting in the 1990s or so. Many of her items are similar to yours. We treasure them as family items but never looked at resale. Just wanted to expand the date range a bit.

Bakersgma likes this.
  9. jingyel

If inhered from family and you have emotional attachment, I agree it invaluable. But in my case, I need to make some decision on those stocks, either sell them or donate to goodwill.

10. jingyel

BTW, in the same lot there is a Limoges plate. I wonder what is its name? seems like a inkwell plate but I am not sure. IMG_4884.jpg IMG_4885.jpg

11. Bakersgma

That kind of plate holds a tea or coffee cup in the ring and holds sandwich or cake in the flat area.

komokwa and patd8643 like this.
  12. jingyel

does it have a name, like breakfast plate?

13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

When I lived in St. Pete Fl back in the 80s china painting was still a popular hobby. There was a club right up the street from my house and they would have huge sales several times a year. I would go and buy the most beautiful stuff for like .25 each. Some of those ladies were very skilled. I wish I had some of it still.

jingyel likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

Could be called a luncheon plate, sandwich plate or buffet plate.

jingyel likes this.
  15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I’ve see them called "tennis sets", I suppose for snacks and tea after an invigorating game of tennis (or watching tennis).
    (EDIT: Or is it because the plate is shaped like the head of a tennis racquet?)
    Pity the painter of your cup/saucer sets wasn't more talented, they look rather beginner/crudely done to me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Bakersgma likes this.
  16. jingyel

I like the name of "tennis sets". Initially I thought it was for inkwell.

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted