need help to appraise four tapestries

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by jingyel, Sep 24, 2020.

1. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

from a local auction
    personally I like the first one the forth one.
    Any suggestion of the age origin and value will be appreciated
    IMG_1579.jpg IMG_1580.jpg IMG_1591.jpg

2. jingyel

one on the left
    IMG_1581.jpg IMG_1582.jpg

3. jingyel

one on the right
    IMG_1586.jpg IMG_1587.jpg IMG_1588.jpg

4. jingyel

two in the middle
    IMG_1583.jpg IMG_1584.jpg

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are you thinking of buying one for your personal collection or resale?

Debora

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The 3 on the right all look like the mass produced, machine woven "tapestries" we have seen here before. They have little value. The large one on the left is not a traditional handwoven tapestry. It is a peculiar combination of techniques - not sure I understand what is going on.

judy and blooey like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To my eye, the only one that's of any interest is the first which has a medieval design. The others look like typical 1920s-1930s woven panels from Belgium or France.

Debora

blooey likes this.
  8. jingyel

Could be both. I like to add some decoration in the room as well as good investment

judy likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

2manybooks, doesn't it look like the first has been needlepointed by hand around a machine-woven design? That, of course, would be a crazy amount of work given size.

Debora

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The cane furniture is more interesting.

Debora

11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

That's what I thought, too. But maybe it is some sort of machine tufting technique?

judy likes this.
  12. jingyel

IMG_1582.jpg IMG_1581.jpg
    I don't have experience, but from the back side, the first one was needlepointed by hand IMG_1582.jpg IMG_1581.jpg

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Naw... I agree there's something funky there. There are some raised areas that look hand-embroidered from the back but the stitching doesn't match on the back.

Debora

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I can't find the original, but the big one is known as the "lecture tapestry". It's all over the place as cushion covers, wall hangings and the like, probably as kits as well. On most versions there's a bird just above the man.

2manybooks, judy and Debora like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you. Learned something new. Cluny Museum. Paris.

Debora

ss1020_la_lecture_the_lecture__38.jpg

2manybooks likes this.
  16. jingyel

Thank you for the suggestion. For learning purpose, could anyone send me a high resolution photo of real handmade tapestry?

17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

From what I could see of a Pinterest entry:
    The Lecture: (learning while spinning?) La Vie seigneuriale: 1 of 6 tapestries depicting idealized manorial life. Low Countries, c. 1500. Paris, Musée de Cluny, Cl 2182

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

19. jingyel

Thank you. It does provide a high resolution. I noticed a detail of interlayer stitching shown below. I just wonder if we can use that for the identification of handmade vs machining?
    needle.JPG

20. Modest Muse

Modest Muse Active Member

They're all machine made, with the last three of mediocre or low quality. The first one was done on an electronic Jacquard (in existence since 1983), which allowed for all sorts of complex textures and is of much higher quality.

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted