Need help to determine age of Windsor Arm Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rose M. Gates, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Rose M. Gates

Rose M. Gates New Member

I found this OLD chair in a used furniture store in Rhode Island. I got as far as determining the style as a Comb back Windsor Arm Chair. Would anyone care to help determine if it's English or American, and how old it might be? Legs are turned, but fairly straight, not splayed out. Wood is very worn and smooth. There are 11 spindles in back. It looks hand made, not perfect like a machine made chair. Trash or treasure? Thanks for your help in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

3. Rose M. Gates

Rose M. Gates New Member

thank you for enlarging the photo!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. wiscbirddog

In the future you can just select 'full image' so it doesn't default to a thumbnail. ;)

Rose M. Gates likes this.
  5. Rose M. Gates

Rose M. Gates New Member

good to know, appreciated!

6. wiscbirddog

I like your chair a lot. Hope you get some answers from the furniture experts.

Myhasle and Rose M. Gates like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

8. wiscbirddog

I'll give a shout-out to @verybrad for help too.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

A bit out of my realm of expertise. Single board seat indicates pretty good age. Beyond that, I don't know.

Rose M. Gates and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

It’s English, not American. I don’t know English furniture like I do American, but @Bakersgma I think does, plus others. When you show furniture you need better pictures - underneath seat plus closeups of spindle and legs and how pieces are joined.

Based on limited single pic, see a Single board seat made of elm I think, but other features look around mid 19th century if I had to guess. Better pics could change that though. Looks like legs have been shortened; what is distance from floor to seat height?

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Rose M. Gates, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  12. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Sorry, yep, I was too lazy to look it up.

13. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Thinking early to mid 19th century on this. The legs do, indeed, look shortened, almost as if rockers were attached at one time. If you're primarily looking for age rather than comfort, this looks like a good option, depending on price. Cool chair!

14. Rose M. Gates

Rose M. Gates New Member

I can definitely take some better pics! just wondering if any experts knew what I had. and YES it's very low! and there are very old repairs at bottom of legs.

15. Rose M. Gates

Rose M. Gates New Member

Oh, you are absolutely correct, it does look like maybe rockers were attached at some point. There are very old repairs on the outside of each leg, and they are short. Thank you! Do you know about spindles? This has an unusually large amount. I have seen examples with alot less. I will post more photos. Thanks everyone for your opinion. I hope it's a treasure, it cost $4.99

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  16. Rose M. Gates

Rose M. Gates New Member

Thank you for your reply! I will get better pics and measurements!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  17. wiscbirddog

$4.99 - wowzer! Doesn't get much better than that. :D

Ghopper1924 and Rose M. Gates like this.
  18. Rose M. Gates

Rose M. Gates New Member

I am the founder of a cat rescue, and if the chair has value, I will sell it and donate the proceeds for the rescued cats.

Ghopper1924 and Bakersgma like this.
  19. wiscbirddog

That is an awesome idea!

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Top stretcher is unusual with that waviness. Elm seat by the look of it, and early 19th to mid. Splats and arms look ash: beech got used as well, but those look a bit light coloured for beech. I need a closer look at the legs.

A nice Thames Valley chair to my eye, anyhow. Not sure the legs have been shortened, when this was made, people were not tall. I don't think the form is right for it to have ever rocked.

Absolute bargain. Even though brown furniture is out of fashion, it's a couple of hundred here, easily.

Draft saved Draft deleted