Featured Need Help to ID a Teeny, Tiny Milk Glass Box and Some Blobs

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Sep 14, 2019.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I won a bunch of antique milk glass items in a recent auction and I'm going through all of them (the part I love to do). One of the items is a very, very small covered box. I looked in my Milk Glass book (Newbound) and on line but can't find anything. It measures 2" by 1 1/2" and 1 1/2" high. It is sooo adorable! It will hold straight pins and safety pins, so maybe a pin box. But was wondering who might have made it. Anyone know?

DSCF4794.jpg DSCF4795.jpg DSCF4796.jpg

I also have these white glass blobs. The lady had a bunch of them in a small bowl. Each one is about the size of a nonpareil, 1 1/2" across and flat on the bottom. What are these? Globs of glass that fell on the workshop floor? Why collect them? TY!

DSCF4797.jpg

2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE THE LITTLE BOX !!! ... Joy. :)

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Yes, it's just darling. I was thinking that you could put a lock of baby's hair in it.

4. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Love them. My grandmother had a set she kept on her dressing table. She kept her rings in the small one. The jewelry she wore more often like watch, bracelets or earrings went in the others. I guess you could use them for anything.

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Oh yes, maybe the small round discs were the centers of buttons.

6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Could the discs be restaurant ware butter pats?

7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

No, they are domed on the top. So butter would slide off. I've heard of people picking up glass bits on factory tours. That's why I was thinking blobs off the factory floor. Or maybe, gobs of white glass that would eventually become something.

8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Could they be florists or fish tank "pebbles" although a little bigger than I remember.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Since the box is not very deep, I'm wondering if it might not be a rouge box.

I was thinking the discs might be curtain weights, but couldn't find anything to support that idea.

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I also think they're too big for fish tank use. The lady who owned these collected white glass, most of it by Atterbury. She was 88. Each piece had a small sticker on the bottom with a number on it, but no one mentioned a record book anywhere in the house. Not that they'd know what is was anyway. But I could easily see an avid collector picking up the glass blobs as a souvenir on a factory tour. But if I don't find out what they are, that's OK.

Now that's an idea! I looked at several sources today with no success. Rouge, my grandmother used 'rouge' occasionally, I use 'blusher.' Ha Ha! How things have changed. I like the curtain weights thought. Whether they are or not, it would work.

P.S. I just turned the blobs over and they are very smooth and shiny on the other side. You could easily drill these and turn them into drawer knobs.

11. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I couldn't. I dunno about you.

12. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

That is a very pretty little box!! Love it! *-*

Draft saved Draft deleted