Need Help to ID Seed Pot Similar to Native American Acoma Pueblo Pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lva483, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Happy Friday!
    I need some help with this one. It was purchased at an estate sale and I've been able to find very little information. Its a pinched stoneware seed pot with a white semi-matte mineral glaze with ash. It has incised writing on the interior and exterior, it appears to read "INEZ" or "IMEZ", I'm just not sure. In addition, it looks like there is faded writing below the exterior letters, but I can't make any of it out. It measures 7" tall and is over 9" wide. I've done a lot of research and have hit a dead end. Thank you very much for taking a look and any thoughts you may have.
    3.jpg 12.jpg 15.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I expect @Taupou may have some ideas for you.

judy and Lva483 like this.
  3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's glazed, made from commercially available stoneware clay, and has an incised signature that looks like it was made with a biology probe, so that eliminates the possibility of it being Acoma or even Native American.

The way it is signed, the type of clay used, and the overall quality of the work, suggests it's a student art project, probably from the 1970s.

4. Lva483

Lva483 Active Member

Thank you very much for your insight.

judy likes this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I agree. Definitely not traditional Native American.

Taupou likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted