Need Help to ID the Bottom Half of a Possible Covered Animal Dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Sep 5, 2019.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I received this item as part of a milk glass lot. I believe it is the bottom half of a covered animal dish. It is so pretty and the lace edge is very nice, not a chip or nick anywhere. So I would like to know what the top might have been. I've never seen this base before. It's very large, measuring 12 1/2" by 7 1/2" and 3 1/2" high (measured including the lace). The lady whose house it came from collected mostly Atterbury and Challinor Taylor, but I couldn't find anything on that. Has anyone seen this base before or know who made it? It's not marked. I saw an Atterbury Swan that is a possibility but the base was a little different.

DSCF4735.jpg DSCF4736.jpg DSCF4737.jpg DSCF4738.jpg

i need help likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"covered animal dish???" What is that?

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The lid to this dish would have been a swan, a fox, a duck or some other animal. Like a hen on nest, are you familiar with those? If you google covered animal dish, a bunch of images come up.

i need help and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Oh. Yes, I've seen animal lids, like the hens on a nest, but never heard a generic name for the category.

5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

It could also have been a lady's hand, holding a dove, with a red stone on the ring finger

UncleChuckTX and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I saw those, but the lace is different on the short sides of this one.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I saw that one too. It looked close but the difference is in how the rings spin out on the short sides. Thanks for your help!

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted