NEED HELP TO ID This Statue

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Amaro, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Amaro

Amaro New Member

FB_IMG_1552835334568.jpg Please help me to identify this statue..made of copper with 7 inches tall.
    Also, what it would be the age of this thing?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Amaro Welcome. Please go back and edit and click on full image. Also they like to see bottoms and some detailed images. Kiko

Ghopper1924, Christmasjoy and Amaro like this.
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

What @KikoBlueEyes said about full image... also, unless the color is way off in the photo, that's more likely brass than copper.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Amaro

Amaro New Member

i need help likes this.
  6. i need help

Does yours have a hollow base too?

Bronwen and Amaro like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think the ebay seller has a very vivid imagination. This bears no resemblance to any Ottoman or Persian art I have ever seen. It doesn't look as refined as the usual Ottoman or Persian art.
    I think it is Dhokra art from tribal northeast India. Like these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is some info on Dhokra art:
    https://www.veniceclayartists.com/dhokra-tribal-art/

Ghopper1924, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  8. Jivvy

Are the finishes weird for Dhokra?

9. Jivvy

Okay, here is my real issue.

I always find dhokra charming. Always. It was love at first sight for me (an elephant on eBay) and I never looked back.

I don't get that with these pieces (the op's and the one inh found) At all. It's so disappointing. :sorry::hilarious:

10. Amaro

Amaro New Member

Thank you all guys

judy, Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello, Amaro. We really could use clear photos taken from all sides, including the bottom.

I see points of similarity with the Dhokra figures, but even more that are different. Agree the one INH found is essentially the same figure as your guy, but also agree that not too much faith should be put into the seller's identification. I'm getting a feel for something farther east than Persia.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  12. Bronwen

That one also has 2 [Correction: 5] little dangling bits, although in a different location. Maybe a clue here?

upload_2019-3-22_14-50-0.png

Oh, looks like brass to me too. Copper is a component of brass.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  13. i need help

I thought it was conflicted from the beginning. I did think of Dhokra, but could not find a warrior type. And other differences. :confused: That’s why the strong warning about the ad.

14. Amaro

Amaro New Member

What estimated value does is take?

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Bronwen

The one INH found on eBay looks to me like much better, perhaps more authentic, work than your piece. Seller of that one is asking $155 US, but also entertaining offers for a lower price.

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Some Indian tribal art is losing the plot nowadays, imo. Did you see some of the Dhokra figures in the link I posted?

i need help and judy like this.
  17. Amaro

Amaro New Member

Not. Yet

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted