Need help to identify an old red pottery jug/pot ...Solved - Mexican olla de barro (bean pot)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ibsandy2u, Jan 27, 2020.

1. ibsandy2u

ibsandy2u New Member

Any ideas on what this is? Looks pretty old and rough, not a well made piece. Bottom is rounded and looks like was used on a fire. No markings. Measures about 9" tall and about 9" wide. Has a different feel and sound than most pottery.

1RIMG27143.JPG 2RIMG27145.JPG 3RIMG27148.JPG 4RIMG27150x.jpg 5RIMG27170.JPG 6RIMG27155x.jpg 7RIMG27159x.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

mexican olla

3. ibsandy2u

ibsandy2u New Member

Thank you Blooey! I searched lots of pottery trying to ID it without luck. I just now googled mexican olla and saw lots of examples. What a difference the right key words can make

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

all , the difference..!!

5. PortableTreasures

PortableTreasures Active Member

This particular pot is used for cooking beans--and they taste really is so much better than when they're cooked in metal saucepans!

Draft saved Draft deleted