Need help to identify artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by lisa9902, Jul 13, 2020.

1. lisa9902

lisa9902 New Member

Hi I acquired this etching recently. Its a copy of Victorious Love by Bourguereau probably dating to around 1870 - 1890. It is unsigned and there are no identifiers which feels a bit strange as it is really very well etched with a high level of skill and detail. Grateful for any information / thoughts?

Attached Files:

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's too small for me to see it well enough to discuss it with you, perhaps you can post some details of it? How big is it? It appears to have been a plate from a book, which could explain the lack of identifiers. IF it is from a book, it does appear to be a copperplate etching, but really too hard to see to identify that for sure. Need more detail.

Fid and scoutshouse like this.
  3. lisa9902

lisa9902 New Member

Hi it is quite small the plate is about 8 inches by 6 inches and it has a clear plate indent. I will try and post some better pictures

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

CC8089FA-1BE1-426E-9C7A-67C83E5B4924.png 19DC4B14-6AB1-40F4-A437-44EE94B41F62.png Checking Full Image will give best results.

lisa9902 and scoutshouse like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

'Victorious Love' or 'L'amour vainqueur.' 1886. Private Collection.

Debora

416dd7ef7a7d5357f1a373d3e018a81f.jpg

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. lisa9902

lisa9902 New Member

Thank you that's really interesting to see. It's certainly the same subject but when you look at the background you can see the two are different, this one has more cloud like background whereas mine is more like shading. I noticed this is also an etching whereas mine is definitely an etching. Thanks for sharing really great to see.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I can only chip in that this is Bouguereau once again depicting Cupid & Psyche. You can just see one of her wings. Easier to tell that's what it is in the painting.

@Aquitaine Have you been coloring again? Where did the blue eyeballs, rosy cheeks & red lips on Cupid come from? Poor Psyche's mouth did not come out well in the engraving.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NO!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! BUT, I noticed them when I uploaded the 3X image!!!! Haven't a clue as to why!!!!! I can't see TOPAZ messing with something like that!!!!
    EDIT: but I do wonder if it picked the color up from the FRAME!!!!!????? AND the ONLY color I see in my enlargement is the BLUE eyes.......R U having something 'sparkly' for lunch????????????;);););)

Fid likes this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

"bubbles, everywhere bubbles" my mom on her way to getting tipsy.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted