Featured Need Help w Antique Milk Glass Syrup and Welcome Comments Too

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Apr 3, 2016.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I purchased this syrup because a) I like milk glass and b) who could resist that finial?.

I'm assuming it's Victorian age, around 1890s. Probably can't know who made it. Is it safe to assume that the top is pewter? Would it have had silver plating at one time?

Any other thoughts or comments are most welcome. I'm kind of in love with it, but alas I must sell it. It measures 7 1/2" high, not including the birdie.

DSCF5204.jpg DSCF5205.jpg DSCF5206.jpg DSCF5207.jpg DSCF5208.jpg DSCF5210.jpg

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Ola! That is really tweet!

Aquitaine, judy, Lucille.b and 5 others like this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Really, it is! And I like the fact that it is smooooth on the outside. So many of them are cut, or engraved, or have ribs -- makes them a pain to clean. Which is why, of course, I have four of them.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I do see signs on the inside of the lid, that it might have been silverplated.

Pewter is a soft metal. And there are dents to the metal.
    The other metals often used at this time as a base for plating were Britannia (pewter alloy) and White Metal (tin alloy).

All are about the same color.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Pat, thank you! It would have been tres booteeful with plating on the spout. I think I'll just avoid too much talk of what I don't know (the metal) and talk more about the finial, the size and the condition. Maybe I'll keep it around for awhile until I'm tired of looking at it (hah!).

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

rolling eyes at silver and looking away - I've heard that what she has is contagious and from a reliable source too - KoT aka Kingsie who oughta know!

7. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

I was leafing through a book on Pittsburgh glass that I just received today ... and in it were a few old catalog pages that showed opal syrup jugs that look very similar to yours. I realize this is an older thread ... just thought that I'd post them for what info. they may add. No mention of what the top with the bird is made ... on the second catalog page, it is not listed as being britannia as some of the others are.
    P1090425.JPG P1090426.JPG P1090427.JPG
    P1090419.JPG P1090421.JPG P1090423.JPG P1090424.JPG

Figtree3, cxgirl, *crs* and 6 others like this.
  8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Innes is a nice book but dated so some of the information has changed as more is learned. Still has things like these catalog pages not easily found elsewhere.

cxgirl and quirkygirl like this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

quirky -- thanks for the information! Catalog reprints are my favorite form of info. I already sold the syrup about 3 weeks ago, but I will store this in the memory box for next time!

Figtree3 and cxgirl like this.
  10. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Congrats on the quick sale!
    I would have had a hard time parting with it.

cxgirl likes this.
  11. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted