Need Help w some Heisey 1286 Ashtrays vs. others like it

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Feb 16, 2020.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Heisey 1286 Ashtrays with Cupid & Psyche deep plate etch, one pink and one clear. They measure 3 7/8" x 3" x 3/4"H. I feel comfortable with the ID cuz I found them in my Clarence Vogel books with a catalog page.

DSCF5711.jpg

But then I have a couple more that are likely not Heisey. They measure 5" x 3 1/8" x 1"H. The etch is very similar, but not exactly the same. I found some others on ebay attributed to Heinrich Hoffman as Czech / Bohemian in different shapes and sizes with this same etch as shown below. So my questions are: who made this one, and why is the etch so similar? Did someone come up with it first, or is it just so pervasive that everyone does it? TIA!

DSCF5726.jpg

i need help and dude like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Thorvaldsen: Cupid shows Venus his bee-stung finger.

Cupid complains to Venus about bee sting.jpg

You can see the bee above the roses. Supposedly she is less than sympathetic, telling him, Now you know how others feel when you shoot them with your arrows!

judy, UncleChuckTX and i need help like this.
  3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks Bronwen! That's good to know. I had these ashtrays in my basement a long time and I'm now trying to deal with it all.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bronwen, I knew that had to be a classic image, had no Idea what it was. I'm sure both ash trays are copies but of the original, not each other.

5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

@TallCakes Thanks for that link! I found nearly all of my ashtrays there.

judy, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted