Featured Need help! What is this mystery secret metal book?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Judy Wright, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Judy Wright

Judy Wright Member

Hello - I have this brass and leather miniature "book" which contains some tools.
    The brass end of the book slides off and the other end pushes up to allow access to the various tools.
    Scissors, some bamboo item, a very narrow file, and possibly a seam ripper?
    Appears to be sewing kit, possibly, but wanted to make sure I'm on the right track.
    Any other ideas? Or hints as to age or origin would be most appreciated!! booksmall_1.jpg booksmall_12.jpg booksmall_4.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's neat !!!!

3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

To me it seems more heavy-duty than just a sewing kit. I found this picture of an old book binding tool kit. I think it looks more like this, personally.
    upload_2020-2-15_16-9-44.jpeg

janettekay, KSW, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  4. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Looks like a straight razor and other grooming tools, so I would guess an antique "grooming kit"

kyratango likes this.
  5. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

My guess is that it might be a "book safe"... someplace to put documents or jewelry and mix it up with other books on a shelf. The current tools may be a more recent add...
    Leslie

Draft saved Draft deleted