Need help with 1800’s Chinese vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Wintergreen, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Wintergreen

Wintergreen New Member

Hello! This is my first post on here, so forgive me if I do anything I’m not supposed to.

I visited an antique store today in Spain and found these two vases that I fell in love with. I tried to communicate with the shop owner about them, but my translate app and my internet were both not working well, so communication was based off of my high school Spanish and plenty of gesticulations. Suffice it to say I got that they were Chinese and from the 1800’s. That being said I agreed and haggled as best I could and left with the vases.

Now I’m worried I didn’t spend time trying to authenticate them, and would like to know if they seem real and what their actual value would be. I will say that they aren’t just painted but seems like there’s small engraving outlining the paintings. I can post a few pics I took, but I didn’t see any marks on the bottom (didn’t take any pics), and they’re all wrapped up now for travel back home so I’ll try to take more pics if I need to, but might not be able to until I get home in several days. Thanks for you help!

Attached Files:

2. Wintergreen

Wintergreen New Member

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Hi Wintergreen. I understand your concern. Buying from unknown parties can be very concerning. I've been suckered when traveling too. I hope this works out for you. I can't comment about the age, I will mention that the workmanship does not seem very good. The yellow flowers between the tag are different in that
    one is larger without a border. Can you return them, if you get other comments questioning their validity?

Inkedvase_LI (Medium).jpg

kyratango likes this.
  4. Wintergreen

Wintergreen New Member

Unfortunately we were on a day tour in Segovia and are now back in Madrid, about an hour and a half apart. I’d still enjoy having them in my home, but was hoping my mother was wrong when she said they looked new and she didn’t approve. And coming from a woman who loves color and antiques, I was a bit surprised. She quipped with “I hope they were cheap!”

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I'm sure you will enjoy them. They are pretty, but I agree with your mother. I am a regular member of this site, and it has helped immensely to sharpen my eye - what to look for - but I am still learning. Enjoy your trip!

kyratango likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They don't look terribly old but they're big, decorative and a pair too. If it turns out they're not from the 1800s, you can fill them with flowers without guilt for a dramatic display.

Debora

7. Wintergreen

Wintergreen New Member

I won’t say I’m not disappointed. I do wonder what their history actually is though. If anyone has any insight please let me know. Thanks for your help everyone!

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Comparisons are always helpful when training the eye. These are described as c. 1700 large square baluster vases. Dunno if true re date -- the field of Chinese antiques is a difficult one -- but does give you some terms for internet search.

Debora

A-perfect-pair-of-large-Chinese-porcelain-square.jpg

kyratango and NewEngland like this.
  9. Wintergreen

Wintergreen New Member

E312DA9F-70FB-4D7C-B2CA-16F97FCBD666.png So pretty! I found this online when I was searching to disprove my mother that they looked fake. It looked pretty similar to the ones I got to me.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Those look much older than yours. The bases and their markings are important for dating. Photographs would be helpful.

Debora

Fid likes this.
  11. Wintergreen

Wintergreen New Member

12. Wintergreen

Wintergreen New Member

13. Wintergreen

Wintergreen New Member

14. Wintergreen

Wintergreen New Member

So I watched a YouTube video from Chamberlain Antiques on how to authenticate Chinese porcelain, and one of their techniques was to take a wet rag to the bottom where it’s dirty and see if the dirt comes off or if it’s a stain. The dirt was coming off nicely. The rag is quite filthy, and I was able to wipe most of the stains off the visible perimeter. That should be promising, no?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Still getting a modern decorative vibe...but I'm no expert.

16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Now that you've shown the bottom (which I assume was to illustrate the dirt removal ?) another discrepancy between newer and actually older Chinese ceramics - at least any of the ones I have seen in person or online. That rectangular space in the center of the unusually wide bottom rim is something I have never seen before. How deep is that?

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

One other thing - the way that dirt was distributed over the bottom rim does not look like it occurred naturally - see how it follows the slight curve toward the space in the middle?

kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sorry, to my eye, they're clearly not old. And the bottoms are artificially aged.

Debora

19. Wintergreen

Wintergreen New Member

Thanks for your help everyone! I guess I’ll consider them beautiful souvenirs rather than high quality heirlooms. I’ll be sure to come back to ask about more pieces I have, and vet new pieces I’m interested in.

kyratango and Houseful like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted