Need help with 20th C Czechoslovakian Porcelain mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by laura9797, Nov 4, 2020.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I have lovely hand painted tray with what looks like an Chodov mark but it is not Huttner & Co. I can't find this mark at all? Any one?
    Thanks!!!! IMG_9889.JPEG IMG_9890.JPEG IMG_9895.JPEG

judy likes this.
  2. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

3. laura9797

judy likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I agree it looks like a Chodov mark but not Hutner & Co. or Haas & Czjzek. Can you read the date above the trees? I'm wondering if it might help pin down a specific firm. I'm using Bohemian Decorated Porcelain (Henderson) as a reference but couldn't find this exact mark.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  5. laura9797

The date is 1792 above a crown. Thanks!

judy likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Researching the 1792 date brought me back to Haas & Czjzek. They used that date on several of their marks in the 1918-1945 period. I couldn't find the exact mark but found one very similar. I have to leave for supper but will attempt to scan pg. 25 of the Henderson book when I return. Just as a point of interest 1792 was the date porcelain was first produced in Bohemia.

judy and laura9797 like this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the problem may as well be that Chodau is near Carlsbad and in the villages spread around in the countryside there were many companies that used Carlsbad as origin because it was a well-known spa.
    Johann Hüttner was one of three owners of a coalmine in nearby Einsiedl and bought the porcelain factory in Unter-Chodau etc.......
    what you'd really needed was a German or Austrian expert with good knowledge of the history of those border lands that were also called Sudetenland etc..
    sadly most Czech sites about porcelain and art do not provide a German version...

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay. After fighting with my scanner I realized it would be easier to take pictures of the pages. (I usually get where I'm going but often by taking the scenic route). Anyway, I hope these pictures help. As Fid noted there were numerous companies and factories involved with numerous changes in ownership over the years. Untangling them does require a real expert in that area. It seems to me as much of an art as a science.

IMG_20201105_104347951.jpg IMG_20201105_104339936.jpg IMG_20201105_104410229.jpg

judy and Fid like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

nice book. what's the title ?

judy likes this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

ISBN 0-7643-0746-0.

IMG_20201105_120256645.jpg

pearlsnblume, judy and bercrystal like this.
  11. laura9797

This is very helpful! Thank you. So I guess when I list it, it is like I thought from Chodov region possibly Sommer & Matschak factory but I'll have to do some more research.

judy likes this.
  12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

If your library is open perhaps they can find a copy of the book for you. Once you can read the whole section I think you'll see how difficult it is to attribute this to a specific company. Portheim & Sons seems possible too if I'm interpreting the pages correctly. I'm not sure if attributing this to a particular factory will help your listing much as these companies are fairly obscure even to most collectors. A variation of "Bohemian Chodov Region Celery Tray with Red and White Roses" might be enough. It's a lovely tray but it's most likely a tough sell so I'm not sure I would spend too much more time on it personally unless you really enjoy the research.

13. laura9797

This is probably very true!!! Not probably worth the effort/time but sometimes I just have to know ....just to know! :playful:

bercrystal and dgbjwc like this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

:hilarious: that's the same book I gave away last xmas.

15. Crystal Stadin

Crystal Stadin New Member

I actually just got a syrup pitcher and platter with red and pink rose with the same mark

laura9797 likes this.
  16. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

I think I found the same mark DBG showed you in his book. My pic is from a data base I subscribe to. The mark in the center, it says its Haas and Czjzek and also note it says there are some variations to this mark. I would think this is pretty good evidence that its from them. 20210511_170148.jpg

17. laura9797

Thank you! I appreciate your information!

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted