Need help with a proper name and time frame

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mechanical.faerie33, Mar 19, 2018.

1. 374f7e7020b22245f8d2a60c3f1875aa.jpg f258ecbfcb2414f9a6565b143d0b7cfa_1521337316482.jpg I am looking for one of these or one that is very similar. I have been looking for a few months now and have not been able to find one to buy. I have seen so many different names for it as well as dates anywhere from the 40s to the 60s. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me a proper name for this type of cabinet in the US as well as which time frame I should be searching in? View attachment 116743

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Those look 40s-50s to me and possibly sideboards. The 1st one might have been a tv cabinet . I would look for a sideboard as opposed to a kitchen cabinet were I you. They are dirt cheap and easily repurposed.

3. Thank you very much. A lot of the information I have seen varies on name as well as time period, so it's been confusing.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

First one is a painted English or European sideboard (or buffet with hutch) circa 1940. The second appears to be home made using some repurposed parts. Neither of these things are as they would have been manufactured.

kyratango likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The Brits have some specialized names for them, but bedarned if I can remember what. Hoosier Cabinets are similar, but not quite right.

Christmasjoy and kristiaan like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Brad - The first one, could it be a little later? 1950s - The glass looks like a TV screen.

7. Thank you very much for that information!

8. You'r right, hoosier is close but not quite right. Although I still appreciate your helping me!

9. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Rockabilly style we call it over here....

10. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

You see them here quiet often, Belgian, French or German made to me.

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    OMG that pink almost knocked me out. I rented an apartment when I was in school and the entire kitchen was that Pepto-Bismol pink. The floors the ceiling the tile on the floor all of the cabinets, the sink, refrigerator, the table and chairs. The curtains everything was that pink. In the morning light it was horrendous to say the least.
    greg

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. It has actually been very hard to find one where I am. But thank you for your help! :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Lol... I am actually leaning more towards a pastel color. At this point though, if I could even just find one to buy, I don't care what color it is. I can always change it :)

14. verybrad

Sure could. Always have trouble dating European furniture. Have seen those TV screen looking doors on German furniture. Here is a 50s shrunk that is somewhat similar.

[​IMG]

15. Thank you so much! Really! That helps a lot!

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I LIKE that! It's purdy.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

18. verybrad

Have never heard this term before and spot-on. Sort of like an evolved Hoosier cabinet.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  19. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, is a neat term, Kuchenbuffet and, i would guess 20th century Hoosier cabs evolved from 19th century Stepback cupboards. Basically same form, just smaller.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  20. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Küchenschrank works too but my ex in-laws in Hamburg used küchenbuffet and probably 50’s more likely (50er).

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted