Need help with a siggie on a print called Downhill please.

Discussion in 'Art' started by bercrystal, Jun 4, 2014.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Picked this up at an auction quite some time ago & have tried numerous combinations trying to decipher the siggie.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss:

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The last name is Bester. The first name looks like Peeved but I doubt that's it. It would be funny if it were. :artist: If it were Alfred Bester you could attract Golden Age science fiction fans and of course B5 fanatics.

elarnia likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I have a painting by this same artist ! When I read the post earlier,I kept thinking the siggie looked familiar ! The first name is 'pearce' but I could never figure out the last name.Not hijacking your thread,but heres the one I have. I always thought it was 'Bader". Mine is dated 1978,for what its worth. DSCN2702.JPG DSCN2703.JPG

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

5. johnnycb09

6. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

If you look up Pearce Bates, they're actually quite interesting. I too have one of their works, cock fighting, which I can't bring myself to sell yet. I find it quite amusing that at least 3 of us here have an example!

PS: Mine is a wood block, not a print per se (I guess I mean a late offset print).

7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness. I bought a "Pearce Bates" print a long time ago (early 1970s) and still have it although it is "stored" in a spare bedroom. I enjoyed it but had never really paid close attention to the artist's name. Went back a couple of years later to the same art shop and asked (honest, folks, this is true) the owner if he had any other "Peevey Babs" prints. :rolleyes:

birgittaw likes this.
  8. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

LOL! Yea, we all know about "stored.".... Anyone else?

9. Lucille.b

Birgittaw, I thought I remembered that name -- I think we ID'd yours on the AB. I knew the name sounded familiar. I do like the style of the etchings.

And "stored" ....fraid I can relate. Esp. paintings/etchings.

10. bercrystal

OMG this is too funny!!! :hilarious: I can't believe that there are 4 of us in this group who have pieces by this artist.

Johnny - you can highjack any of my threads if it helps us get an answer to the question. :):)

Now the million dollar question is will anyone out there want this one???? ;)

11. bercrystal

I forgot to say a big thank you to Lucille!!!! :)

12. Lucille.b

Pleased to help! :happy:

And I'm not sure I would have gotten without Johnny's version of the signature.

I do think it has a nice look.

13. johnnycb09

Yes,many many thanks Lucille!

14. bercrystal

I forgot to ask last night, would mine be considered a woodblock print?
    I am totally & completely ignorant when it comes to this type of thing. :shame:

15. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

16. bercrystal

Thanks Briggita!! :kiss:
    I do agree it is a woodblock print.
    I am going to try to get it listed Sunday so we,ll see how it does. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted