Featured NEED HELP with Antique Victorian table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Zac thomas, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

hi all,
    I have an antique Victorian table in my possession and was wondering if anybody knew anything more about it. It's oak, hand carved wood/carvings with four lions heads on each corne as well as a crest/emblem on each side. There are no makers marks but our local dealers have said it's Victorian. I had planned on painting it instead of restoring but I've been advised to seek more info first. It measures 36"x28x18. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT :) MANY THANKS! IMG_2913.JPG IMG_2914.JPG IMG_2915.JPG

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I suspect it is 1920s Jacobean Revival rather than Victorian.
    I'm not a fan of paint but it's not as if you'd destroy any value.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It'd make a great hall table,I wouldnt paint but thats a personal preference.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Your table is from the province of North Brabant in the south of The Netherlands, near the Belgian border. It is a style I've seen a lot from the furniture-making villages of Oirschot and Oisterwijk in North Brabant, not far from where I live.
    The crest is the Brabant lion, which is also in the coat of arms of neighbouring Belgium:
    [​IMG]
    These tables were made a lot from the 1930s-50s, the heyday of a Brabant cultural movement called Brabantia Nostra. My parents knew a lot of artists who were part of the movement, and this furniture was everywhere in my early childhood.
    North Brabant was always seen as backward by the dominant Dutch provinces of Holland. Brabant culture and religion had been suppressed for centuries, and the province was treated as a colony.
    The idea of the Brabantia Nostra movement was to give the people some confidence and pride in their own culture, and their Brabant lion of course.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  5. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

Wow! Thank you so so much for this information! I thought it was English but you're definitely right! I will look into this further :)

6. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

Thank you! Yeah I honestly didn't realise it was old when I bought (online) but when I saw it in person I thought I best do some research before perhaps making a mistake :)

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I hate painted furniture but yours being solid oak I would consider painting it. It is easy enough to return it, love oak for that reason.
    greg

8. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

Thank you Greg! I was going to do an antique white with chalk stone grey on the detailing but like I said I wasn't sure about it and wanted to check the history of it first! Thanks again :)

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think it would be a shame to paint this. While solid woods can be stripped and sanded back to bare wood, oak is the worst wood for this. Paint will collect in all the grain crevices and must either be picked out or sanded to death. This table looks to be in very good original condition that could never be retrieved if painted. Can't you find something less significant to paint? It is not like it has a lot of value right now but that could/will change as fashion changes.

kyratango, Ursula Scott, judy and 7 others like this.
  10. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

Well as you migh have read, I didn't realise it was old and as nice as it was before I picked it up! My plan currently is to restore it as such to a nicer standard without paint lol. And see if I can sell on as an antique rather than painted :)

11. Any Jewelry

Maybe this will help if you want to sell it:
    Brabant furniture was made in different sub-styles, your table is based on the late Middle Ages, considered the heyday of Brabant culture. Brabant was part of Burgundy at the time. In The Netherlands Brabant culture is called 'Burgundian', which means being laid back and enjoying the good things in life, good food, good wine, etc.

12. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

Wow what a cool bit of history! Thank you so so much for all of your information and whatever ends up of it all I will be sure to post an update in the thread :) thank you so much!

kyratango, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

As a side note, so I know where I am at, what is a piece like this worth? I know it's not exquisite or anything but I wouldn't want to take an insultingly low offer lol :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

That entirely depends on what vintage carved oak furniture is worth in your area. Nowadays the style is considered old-fashioned here, not yet antique (and no sense of history:rolleyes:). The price here would be 50-75 euro. Maybe you'll have more luck where you are.

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

You would do better here in the States. Even in my semi-rural area, this would be $150-200.00 at retail. Probably more in large cities. Of course, less at auction or other wholesale venues.

kyratango, judy, Zac thomas and 2 others like this.
  16. Zac thomas

Zac thomas Member

Thank you! Either way I'm okay as I only paid £20! Think I found a little bargain :)

kyratango, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. gregsglass

Hi,
    just a note. I should have explained about painting oak. I always varnish oak before painting it. That way when if I strip it there is no problem with the grain
    soaking up paint. Old oak with water stains is one of the worst things to tackle.
    greg

kyratango, judy and Zac thomas like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I know I risk seeing my head on the deck with blood all over, but if he were to refinish the table, would a light "bleaching" hurt the wood?? Or is the Oak grain too "loose" to do that?? I imagine it would depend on the wood, but just posing a question.....???? Inquiring mind seeks information??????:artist::artist::watching::watching::watching::wideyed::wideyed::rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool::cool:

kyratango, judy and Zac thomas like this.
  19. gregsglass

Hi,
    I usually try NOT to bleach the stripped oak but sometimes it needs the bleach. If it is too light I use a darker stain such as Jacobean Oak which will tone it down. I was doing a refinish job for this lady and her oak table was in a real mess. It had to be sanded down and bleached and scraped. She stopped in to see it before I started the refinish. She was so delighted with the almost "blonde" look and did not want me to do anything to it. She said it was perfect for her rustic beach house. She left and I did a quick white wax to the raw wood. She was still happy 4 years later. You never know what is going to happen with some people. My favorite was a guy who wanted a light green dye rubbed in an oak bench. I thought it looked horrible, he was so excited and happy. I should have thought to have him committed.
    greg

20. Dawn mohrbavher

Dawn mohrbavher Active Member

What a fun piece. Personally, I'd sell that in the shop for around 600. I'd do a quick clean up but leave it as is in general. Don't paint it...painted I wouldn't touch it...but I'd guess a price tag of 200 or 300 max.

Draft saved Draft deleted