Featured need help with chinese characters

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Phaik Hooi, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

dear all

found a chinese teapot in a teapot warmer basket. i tried looking for the mark at the gotheborg site but couldn't find it. i read that you can date the piece from the chinese writing/poem or artist name, but i don't read chinese.
    can anyone help with date and maker?

regards
    phaik hooi

chinese teapot mark.png chinese teapot words.png chinese teapot painting1.png chinese teapot top view.png chinese teapot basket4.png chinese teapot basket3.png

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

ALL nice :)
    ~
    Here are some Chinese characters. >>>
    ~
    :wideyed::eek::woot::rolleyes:
    ~
    charlie chan and son.jpg

Aquitaine, judy, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  3. Phaik Hooi

classic!

Aquitaine, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Weallwant

Weallwant New Member

You are barking up the wrong tree Phaik. Clearly this is Japanese script and this is an antique website. Nichi Hon 1950 - current date.

5. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

I dunno. Looks Chinese to me and those basket warmers are usually from China, but I could be mistaken...

judy likes this.
  6. Phaik Hooi

i am pretty certain it is chinese.
    was hoping i could get help with identification, antique or otherwise ;)

judy likes this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Not a clue but, a bump can't hurt!

Phaik Hooi, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical of the Nichi Hon suggestion. Looking at the "Nichi Hon" (Japanese) marks section on Gotheborg, I see none that look like this at all. Whereas the 2 characters on the left show up fairly frequently in the Chinese Later Marks section. Note that "Later" simply means post-Qing.

However, being always on the look out for new sources of information, if @Weallwant would like to show a source that confirms it as "Nichi Hon," I'm willing to listen.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  9. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

The teapot is undoubtedly Chinese. In my opinion Republic Period. Whatever the mark is ( I'm sure I can find out but no time now), it would make no difference on the value.

judy, Bakersgma and James Conrad like this.
  10. Phaik Hooi

dear bakersgma and kardinalisimo
    after seeing your input, i went back to gotheborg site: chinese later mark and republic period. after scrutinising the chinese characters again and again, the 2 characters on the left just means "period make", right? it is unfortunate that the 2 right ones are not as clear. but i found this Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 2.27.32 AM.png and wondered if it was a genuine kangxi :nailbiting:

judy and KingofThings like this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I really don't know if that is the proper translation, Phaik, although reading right to left is the proper direction. That could certainly explain the common appearance of the characters on that side of seal marks.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  12. Phaik Hooi

probably not even a "fake" kangxi, but a date/period would be good :D

judy likes this.
  13. Phaik Hooi

update: asian art forums says the mark is a FAKE Kangxi Nian Zhi mark :facepalm:

and here's another i found today that is most certainly FAKE Qianlong Nian Zhi cos even i can see the bottom left character is inverted :rolleyes::D

chinese drum stool qianlong mark.jpg

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted