Featured Need help with creepy drawing

Discussion in 'Art' started by benbenny007, Jun 15, 2017.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

I'm a full grown man but this painting always gives me goosebumps.

Dont know what it is or how to describe it. It looks like somebody is caught in the painting itself and looking trough the glass. To me it also looks typically like a picture seen on the front cover of a horror book or movie.

It looks like pastel. Ended up in storage because I couldn't read the signature as it is badly faded away. Not having much hope but maybe regonised it or the style. Doesn't look like a Sunday painter to me. Any info/input is welcome.

20170614_195410_resized_1.jpg 20170614_195443_resized.jpg 20170614_195311_resized_1.jpg 20170615_055738_resized.jpg

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

LOL - I hear ya. That would never make it through the door to my house!! :nailbiting:

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Is he Bela Lugosi?

benbenny007 likes this.
  4. benbenny007

Could be, can't say for sure. Need to research this. Lugosi was a actor in horror movies so it is a possibility looking at the subject.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  5. benbenny007

Update

I'm the last one to advice to open a frame of a painting. But it was moldy and needed cleaning and curiosity has the overhand. Just opened up the frame to see if I would be lucky enough to find inscription or other clues. The colors of the drawing are so much brighter now. I also found at that the writing on the left hand side of the drawing is maybe not the signature. Found other text on the right bottom side which looks like a signature bit this is faded away.

Also found some writing on the back dating it to London 1935 but it's written in old style which I can not read. Is the first word harry or Marry? Is the last word Hreenbaum?? I really have difficulties reading old style handwriting.

It also haze the initials M.T.I. underneath the name. Any ideas what these stand for?

20170616_051312_resized.jpg 20170616_051434_resized.jpg 20170616_051335_resized.jpg 20170615_202612_resized.jpg 20170615_202502_resized.jpg

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Harry Greenbaum ???? Joy.

lovewrens, *crs*, benbenny007 and 2 others like this.
  7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I think Harry was mistaken in writing the Hebrew year as 1596, since the date on the item is
    • Tue, 15 January 1935 = 11th of Sh'vat, 5695
    The Brit National Archives holds an immigration document dated 1931 listing a Harry Greenbaum (variations of that name) coming from Russia.

Google is your friend.

I kinda like that item, let me know if you decide to sell.

benbenny007 likes this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

This is niggling at my mind.........I could swear that I have seen a print that was VERY similar to this. I just can't get the information to surface.................

benbenny007 likes this.
  9. benbenny007

I've s
    I've seen this when Joy mentioned the name Greenbaum, but didn't take notice of it! I think you are absolutely right about the other numerals being the Hebrew year! Also the name Greenbaum sounds Jewish decent. GreenBaum = Green Tree. I need to have a look into this when I'm back home. Very interesting! Nice detective work!

Not sure yet about selling. I have this piece for ages because I always thought it had potential. But you never know. Will keep you in mind.

Thank you for taking the time and sharing. I learned something new today. ALL small details can solve the puzzle.
    Knowledge is power!

cxgirl and lloyd249 like this.
  10. benbenny007

Isn't it!! I had the same feeling and because of that I never dared to let it go! That's why I mentioned above that it looks like it could be a original work of a book cover, movie or else. I can't place it and that is really frustrating. I hope your memory comes back :)

11. benbenny007

Ok we know now that the artist was probably Russian Jewish. The numbers 5695 relate to the date 1935. But what could the letters M.T.I below his name mean? Could this relate to a exhibition maybe which was held on 15 January 1935??? From what I seen on many artworks it's rarely signed with full date an place. Most of the times artist mention only the year. The Russian link could also be possible because the text on the left bottom reads to me as M. Solmalinsky?? Sounds Russian and I think it refers to the man in be picture? Any info/input is welcome

This is the text from the website which Joy mentioned

"Naturalisation Certificate: Israel Harry Greenbaum (known as Henry Greenbaum). From Russia. Resident in London. Wife's name Annie [Greenbaum]. Home Office Reference: 570427. Certificate AZ402 issued 20 October 1931"

12. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

If this were in black and white, I would swear it was an illustration by Fritz Eichenberg...................and that MAY be what is confusing me..............but I don't think it is...............I am almost certain that I have seen this before...............

cartoongirl and benbenny007 like this.
  13. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

MIT .. All I can think of is Manchester Institute of Technology, Joy.

benbenny007 likes this.
  14. benbenny007

Don't know. The shortcuts are just underneath his name. Could these maybe relate to his profession/degree or such? Curious about these initials.

15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks more like MJI to me. No idea what that means, just that's what I see.

16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I KNOW that look.................He's got ONE heck of a MIGRAINE!!!!!!!:jimlad::jimlad::jimlad::joyful::joyful::confused::confused::confused::confused:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It looks familiar to me as well.

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Can anyone decipher the writing on the front? It looks like scrambled letters that don't make sense.

19. benbenny007

I had a look at it from different angles and it looks like it reads M. Solmalinsky? or such. Not sure but I beli've this could maybe refer to the man in the drawing. To the right hand side is also some writing which I believe is the signature, but this is faded away completely.

20. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Had a "go" at enhancing garbled text......maybe you can figure it out.....I DO think it says Kentucky at the end "*ky"..............FWIW! zPtngTxt.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted