Need help with Cushman Colonial Creation chair 4-125

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ElmCottageDecor, May 7, 2021.

1. ElmCottageDecor

ElmCottageDecor New Member

Hello! New member here. I picked up an awesome little chair at my local Habitat for Humanity ReStore for $15.00. I'm not familiar with this brand but it was obvious the chair was old and interesting and well-made. Underneath it has the oval Cushman Colonial Creations logo and the model number 4-125.

A few questions for you knowledgeable people...

1) Can you tell how old it is? So far I've figured out that this line of furniture was made from 1933 to the early 60s, but I don't know if 4-125 narrows it down or not.

2) Is the wood maple? That was my guess, but I'm not sure.

3) If it was just any old chair, I'd try to refinish it... But is it more desirable as-is? It's just weird because the underside of the seat is much darker than the rest of the chair. I'm not sure what the finish looked like originally.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 9.41.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 9.41.01 PM.png

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Tagging @Drew - our Cushman expert.

ElmCottageDecor likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I lightened a bit....is that just a regular Cushman label??? Can you get a closer SHARP image, OR tell us JUST what it says?? Thanks!!:):)

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 9.41.jpg

Rayo56 likes this.
  4. ElmCottageDecor

ElmCottageDecor New Member

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Missed this one last year . . . No. 4-125 is their 'Crown Back chair', introduced in 1934 and made up until 1952. This ovel brass tag was used 1946-64, so this piece would have been made 1946-52. The wood is northern yellow birch (many mistakenly think Cushman's creations line was maple... not so). Unfortunately the finish looks to be gone - it would have been a deep russet color which they were famous for)

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I was curious about the "deep russet color" so went searching on line for an example. Would this be correct?

Debora

s-l1600.jpg

7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Generally that's about right - intact damage free finishes are sort of scarce (as with all furniture, sunlight does the most damage.) Cushman had a rich, slightly orangish tone and they spent quite a bit of time finishing their pieces, said to be an 8 part process. Many other furniture makers copied Cushman, but they could never get the finish right. Here's an original finish... 308668611_2043855529134378_7834634954433130914_n.jpg

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thanks, Drew. Wasn't familiar with Cushman. Interesting information.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted