Need Help with Delft (?) Plate

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by birgittaw, May 21, 2014.

1. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Friend asked about this polychrome windmill scene plate, see photos for front and back. Measures 8", has two holes in the rim foot with a metal loop for hanging. I can't find the marks, and neither could she. Spurious piece?

Since there is no country of origin, is this older or not true unless exported to the US?

Happy to see you all here -- since there isn't much on here yet, figured it would be OK for now to post on general topic tab. Admin: is that alright?
    britt1.jpg britt2.jpg

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm no expert on Delft, but I'm getting a newer feel from this

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here. The porcelain and the mark both read as new. It's probably a Souvenir of the Netherlands piece, and I'm guessing 1980s or later.

4. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi all happy for the invite and to see so many familiar names!

I found this mark in the book "Discovering Dutch Delftware", it's the mark of De Delftse Pauw (the Delft Peacock) founded 1954 just outside the city center of Delft. They were still in operation when the book was printed in 1998. They do make souvenir ware in addition to other pieces and apparently they consider the hand painted mark with artist's initials to be from their better line. They started a date code in 1990 with a letter for the year and a number for the month (A5 would be 1990 May for example) and it looks to me that yours might be J11?

6. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Morning all! Yes, it is nice to see everyone -- many thanks to you who chimed in, and the excellent info from sis. Just a great reminder that much as the internet provides tons of info, sometimes, a real book is just much much more helpful!

Draft saved Draft deleted