Need Help With Fabric and Age

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by acvintage, Jul 21, 2021.

1. acvintage

acvintage Member

Hello All ~ I have this blue fabric which I believe is a cotton matelasse. Second photo shows front and back closeup. I've washed it and it now measures 32-1/4" wide (selvage to selvage sides).

I have been unable to find any that are this narrow and I can't tell if this is vintage or newer fabric. Any help is appreciated ... (P.S. 1st photo shows true color. 2nd photo was taken later in day.)

forum72121_002.JPG
    forum72121_001.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Your photographs show it in two different colors. What color would you describe it as?

Debora

3. acvintage

acvintage Member

Yes, my camera has a mind of its own. It is blue. 1st photo shows true color. 2nd photo was taken later in day and the color is "off".

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Different monitors show colors differently. To my eye, the fabric in the top photo looks to be baby blue. Is that the blue? And, in your opinion, what is the weight? Is it upholstery fabric or dressmaking fabric?

Debora

5. acvintage

acvintage Member

Yes, the top is the baby blue. Weight is like a lightweight summer bed coverlet or could use for pillow covers. Not so much for dressmaking but maybe...

Does the color and weight help with dating it?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes. (But not definitively, of course.) Colors are manufactured and introduced based upon color trends so not all colors are available at any one time. Given it's upholstery fabric, given it's cotton, and given it's baby blue, I would think 1950s most likely.

Debora

dupontvintagepaintcolors2.jpg

DizzyDaff likes this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

How much yardage do you have?
    Could it simply be a bedspread that someone cut? That is a very odd and narrow width for decor (not garment) fabric.

8. acvintage

acvintage Member

Yes @bluumz, it is a very strange width. 32-1/4" wide, selvage to selvage, so the width has not been cut. That's what has me stumped! I have almost 7 yards.

bluumz likes this.
  9. acvintage

acvintage Member

Thx @Debora for your mention of dressmaking fabric and everyone else for your thoughts. It pushed me to expand my thinking. I started reading up on matelasse used for clothes in the 1930s and this could be a good candidate for summer coats.

Also, this came in a large lot that had many edwardian dating items (baby bibs, night caps, and early linen fabric and my favorite, early linen sheets). Looked like most came from same collection sooooo ...

I'm going to guestimate at 1930s apparel matelasse yardage with unusual narrow width.

If any other suggestions please let me know ... Thx again!

10. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

DizzyDaff likes this.
  11. acvintage

acvintage Member

Yeahhhh - thx for that site, @Leslie. That's another keeper site for reference.

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I know very little about fabrics however since cotton shrinks I was curious if you measured before you washed it too (assuming it had never been washed). I wonder if shrinking from 36" down to 32¼" might not be out of the question.

13. acvintage

acvintage Member

Hi @say_it_slowly - Unfortunately, I did not measure prior to washing. That is a lesson I will NOT forget.

Draft saved Draft deleted