Need Help With Furniture Pieces From Family Estate

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Helen Morrison, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Helen Morrison

Helen Morrison New Member

new chair pic.jpg new chair 2.jpg new chair 3.jpg new chair 4.jpg new chair 5.jpg new chair 6.jpg new chair pic 9.jpg Hello,

I'm new to this thread, but Im so grateful to have found it. A family member recently passed away and Im helping to sell some pieces of antique furniture he had. I have some dealers interested in them, but want me to throw out the price first. Since I have zero knowledge with any of these pieces, I am looking for some help on any leads of worth, or what era these are from? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2021
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Hi Helen. Try to edit your photos clicking on Insert as full image on the top of the photos. Or perhaps you might do better by creating a thread for each chair, giving fuller details using more photos. Perhaps, the furniture people can help you the way the photos are, but it is difficult without using full image, so they can scroll through your images easily. Hope this helps.

Helen Morrison likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hello, Helen! Many knowledgable people here happy to help. Good advice above. You might want to create two separate posts -- one of the set and another of the three chairs. Additional photographs would be helpful but, if you don't have 'em, what you do have is enough to get some initial thoughts.

Debora

Helen Morrison and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’ve enlarged your photos. Next time, please check the box for Full Images. Thank you

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Value is really dependent on where and how selling. Large cities tend to do better than rural areas and there are regional differences. Keep in mind, a dealer will only pay a fraction of what they think they can sell an item for. In my semi-rural Midwest neck of the woods, that is usually 1/3 to 1/2 of value (maximum). Also keep in mind that values for such furniture is way down from what it was 10 years or so ago.

Your setee and chair are circa 1890 and the carving a bit unusual. These sets do not bring much but yours is nicer than some. You might see this priced $300.00 in a shop here but expect it would take a sharp discount to get it sold. This is particularly true since the leather is not in best condition.

Your next 2 chairs are circa 1910 and exhibit details from the arts and crafts movement. Would expect to see them under $40.00 each at retail here.

Your last chair is circa 1930 Spanish revival. I see that upholstery condition is somewhat suspect. As such, would not expect more than $25.00 for it.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but don't let that...stop you from asking more.....and then coming down!!!

Helen Morrison and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Helen Morrison

Helen Morrison New Member

Wow, you are so knowledgeable! I have been running around for two months and it dawned on me to try a forum. We have a reputable collector interested, but we need to toss out the thirst price so this is exactly what we needed! I have no experience with any of these neat things, and I must say the antique community is the most friendliest group I have ever met. Its made this process of letting go of my loved ones treasures such an easy and heartwarming thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted