Need Help With Hallmarks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by BD42, May 27, 2021.

1. BD42

BD42 New Member

Hi all

I have a sterling silver folding fork and knife and I am trying to figure out the hallmarks

Any help would be greatly appreciated

[​IMG]

2. Generic_Lad

Generic_Lad Active Member

Do you have photos of the full item? You said that it was sterling, is it marked sterling anywhere or was it tested?

KSW, MrNate and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those are makers marks not hallmarks...;)
    please show the whole item as well....:):)

MrNate likes this.
  4. BD42

BD42 New Member

Can you please tell me what those marks say?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

More likely silverplated than sterling given the marks.

KSW, MrNate, DragonflyWink and 3 others like this.
  6. BD42

BD42 New Member

The item was tested and iam not surprised that it's not marked because of its age

[​IMG]

7. Bakersgma

Surface testing on plated items often yields a "sterling" result, because that was what was used in the plating. It should not be relied on when the marking is not a legitimate sterling code.

Figtree3, KSW, MrNate and 3 others like this.
  8. BD42

BD42 New Member

Can anyone tell me please what the marks mean

9. Bakersgma

The A at the front, indicates "standard thickness of the plating." The next letters are the marker's initials and the final S normally stands for Sheffield (the city .)

Figtree3, KSW, bercrystal and 6 others like this.
  10. Generic_Lad

Are they interlocking? If so, can they be removed? It looks like both the knife and the fork are in the same handle? I've seen some interlocking campaign knife/fork combos and there's often additional information on the interior such as a patent number or additional marks which can be used to aid in identification

anundverkaufen, MrNate, KSW and 2 others like this.
  11. BD42

BD42 New Member

Actually you are wrong.The "A" is the date stamp,which indicates 1856,the makers marks and where it was made "s" Sheffield England and it is not silverplated but sterling,but thanks for nothing

12. Generic_Lad

These are not British sterling hallmarks, that much I can tell you.

"A" is not even a valid Sheffield date letter for 1856, with the Sheffield date letter for 1856 being a block capital "N"

Your piece lacks the standard mark (lion passant for sterling) and the crown mark if it was sterling and made in Sheffield. If the piece dates from 1856 it is also missing the Victoria duty mark

See this page for what an authentic 1856 Sheffield Hallmarked sterling knife would look like ( https://dartsilverltd.co.uk/product/antique-silver-folding-fruit-knife-sheffield-1856-brown-clark/ )

Whatever your marks are, they are not British sterling and are most likely some form of silver plate

Figtree3, KSW, Bakersgma and 6 others like this.
  13. komokwa

it's a lovely fruit knife & fork combo....

you, not so lovely...:meh::meh:

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I agree, not Sterling. I understand wanting something to be more valuable than it is. Wishing does not make it so.

15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Wow, that’s rude when people are trying to help.

16. Bakersgma

BD42. No, I am not wrong. So much for your education.

Figtree3, KSW, BoudiccaJones and 5 others like this.
  17. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I just have to post, because the people on here are really wonderful. While his comment is indeed rude, it’s also funny to me. To come to a site seeking expertise, to receive expertise and then dismiss the experts in the very field they specialize in.

My only hope is that a week from now, this new user asks for help on the forum again, and he is met with a persistent and unwavering silence.

18. komokwa

oh...N8....it's a she......:playful:
    & don't expect a return.....:yawn::yawn:

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  19. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

You're wrong..lol I couldn't resist...i'm obviously being sarcastic ;) ;) ;)

komokwa likes this.
  20. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I was going to say Troll but I guess its Trollina ! I do like that item though.

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted