Need help with I.D. on woven(basket/bag)thing I bought.

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Kevin Meade, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Kevin Meade

Kevin Meade Well-Known Member

Hi Folks,
    I buy the strangest things sometimes. I swear some things just call to me and I go for it. I have no clue what it is but I gave $40 for it and 50 CdV antique pictures. Can anyone tell me what I have bought? I put a bunch of WallyWorld bags in it to give it form again. It measures about 11 1/2" tall and about 23" around. The inside bottom is a thick cardboard and the bottom writing appears that the name has been rewritten and is too hard for me to tell if it actually matches the original writing or not. It is in pretty rough condition as the top has some separation to it and I cant help but think it likely had some sort of strap/handles originally.
    Anyway , I don't have a clue but I suppose it had a Native American feel to me. So without any more babbling , here is my "thing" I bought. At least I got 50 old CdV photos.
    Thanks in advance for any and all information.
    Kevin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cxgirl and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very cool that it has the info about who made it and when!

Not "woven," more like needlepoint of some kind, based on the visible material at the "top."

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My sense is that, even though it has been reinked before fading altogether, you can trust what is written there.

judy, Christmasjoy, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

She died on Christmas Day.:(

i need help and Kevin Meade like this.
  5. Bronwen

Wonder if there was a handle attached to the rim where it is most damaged now.

6. Kevin Meade

I figure there had to be a handle of sorts and the damaged areas would be likely suspects.

i need help, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Kevin Meade

Do the combination of colors or pattern lean toward any particular culture for that or any time period?

8. Kevin Meade

Yes!! The material goes into the holes in the backing to aid in the patterns and making of the piece. Not sure what to call it but that material at the top is the backing for the entire piece.

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You often see this same "backing" as the foundation of samplers.

judy, i need help, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the colors are amazing to have stayed vibrant for so long...

11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

A rather simple pattern, but it appears to be Berlin wool work on a Penelope canvas - common needlecraft in the era noted on the piece...

~Cheryl

12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Definitely needlepoint technique. The design and colors look like they are derived from traditional Caucasus kilims:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.minasian.com/caucasus-rugs/antique-caucasian-kazak-kilim-41098/

Needlework of various types was a popular pastime for women in the 19th century (and earlier). And there was a revival of interest in oriental rugs in Europe and America in the last quarter of the 19th century, including tribal Caucasus rugs used in upholstery. (The popularity of such designs led traders to encourage Navajo weavers to incorporate similar designs in their rugs by the turn of the century.) Perhaps this was a self designed project inspired by rug designs, or perhaps it was published in a women's magazine, which often presented needlework patterns.

Perhaps the project was never finished, and was folded in storage since 1877, which would have protected the colors.

Bronwen, Bakersgma and Kevin Meade like this.
  14. Kevin Meade

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Kevin Meade

Thank you so much for the information and the link.
    I would say it is very possible that it was an unfinished project. She passed away not too long after and may well be one of the things she never got back to.

judy, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Total WAG here, but maybe she made it as a carrier for her knitting?

judy likes this.
  17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Many things were made from "turkey" carpets back in the day. It's possible she didn't weave it, but she made it from a rug. I've seen chairs and sofas covered in pieces of old rugs.

18. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Turkish rugs would either be knotted pile, or kilim technique (similar to tapestry). This is neither of those. It definitely looks like needlepoint canvas, worked with needlepoint technique.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted