Need Help with ID of 585 Italy Script Initial Mark, Please!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by jcoe2004, May 19, 2019.

1. jcoe2004

jcoe2004 New Member

Hey all, I am a newbie, but not quite new to jewelry, so I am hoping I can help a few of you out as well! I came across this necklace that has all the markings of a fake Italian Gold necklace. It is marked 14K Italy, 585, but it also has this script on it that looks like initials. They look like a GU or JU, but the U is really weird. Also in cursive. I have never encountered this before. It has been vinegar and magnet tested. I hate the acid, so I didn't use it. Hopefully the pics are clear enough. They two pics are only of the mark that I need help with. $_57 (14).jpg Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks much ~ Jessica

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It is not fake unless it has been acid tested or machine tested.14K Italy 585 has been used by known makers,but it has also been used for fakes.The only thing a magnet will tell you is the piece is magnetic or not,it cannot tell you what metal it is.

kyratango, scoutshouse and judy like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

They two pics are only of the mark that I need help with.

Be that as it may , the one pic is blurry... we need a clearer shot please,
    & most jewelry folks would like a look at the entire item...
    help us, to help you !!! :)

kyratango, scoutshouse and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Jessica.

We definitely need more photos, preferably not blurry. Try photographing it in natural light against a white background. You will have more reflection of the light so the exposure won't be too long.
    And please don't hold it in your hand, just put it down, so you will have one less shaking hand to deal with.;)

Italian goldmarked jewellery can be gold or plated. The marks you mention don't mean this necklace is not gold.

Acid testing is best done by rubbing the gold on a testing stone and putting the acid on the line on the stone. Never put acid directly on the item you want to test. If you doubt that it is gold and don't want to use acid, you can always take it to a jeweler.

kyratango, scoutshouse, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  5. jcoe2004

jcoe2004 New Member

OK, thank you all so much for responding. I will get better pics for you all later this afternoon. It's raining and cloudy right now. I will also go ahead and acid test it. I just hate using this method, but I do have the acid to do it. Thank you very much. Stay tuned for more pics!!

6. Any Jewelry

Looking forward.
    Remember, just rub the gold (jumpring maybe?) on the stone, don't put the acid directly on the necklace.:nailbiting:

kyratango, KSW, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  7. jcoe2004

jcoe2004 New Member

yes, I have two stones that I use, and I am familiar with how to do it. I test silver often, I just hate the gases that testing gold gives off. But I will definitely do that and make sure there isn't any other colored metal underneath.

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  8. jcoe2004

jcoe2004 New Member

$_57 (17).jpg $_57 (17).jpg $_57 (16).jpg

There is a second necklace that I got today. Again, marked as 14K Italy and CTC. Herringbone style. Here are the pics. $_57 (18).jpg $_57 (19).jpg

kyratango likes this.
  9. jcoe2004

jcoe2004 New Member

I also acid tested both of them, and it partially melted the 14K scratch with the 14K acid. It did nothing with the 10K. So, I am not sure because I could not get a good sample on the stone. The first necklace is quite dainty and does not even show up on my scale.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. jcoe2004

jcoe2004 New Member

I have updated the pics. I hope you all get an update due to the pics being updated.

11. jcoe2004

jcoe2004 New Member

I have added additional pics

12. Any Jewelry

Thank you for the photos, at least we now know you are talking about regular chains, not designer necklaces.;)
    That sounds sus, when the mark is 14k. Best take them to a jeweler.

In answer to your other question, they are real necklaces, and real Italian. Whether they are real 14k solid gold is impossible to tell from a photo, but the outcome of your test does not sound promising.

13. jcoe2004

jcoe2004 New Member

Thank you. I will have to test again. I appreciate all of your help!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted