Need help with Lamp Shade Style

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Landon, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Landon

Landon Member

Hi there - My father was an antique dealer and when he passed, I confiscated this lamp from his collection. I'm sure it's not too old but guess it would be considered an antique. Anyhow, I'm trying to find a lamp shade for it. Haven't had much luck yet. Given the lack of luck, I'm now curious what style lamp shade would have been original to it. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the lamp shade style for this would have been?

From the bottom to the top of the yoke (?) is 29.5 inches. Inside the red is a bulb that lights up the interior. With the light on inside, you can see the bulb down in the center by simply walking by. This makes me wonder if the original lamp shade went down to about the red lens to cover the view of that bulb. However, there is so much ornateness between the red and the upper lightbulb. Does this make sense?
    lamp2.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

What does the plug look like?

It would be considered an antique if it were from 1919 at the newest, 100 year old or older.

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Sorry, not a shade guy. 1960s Spanish revival/Mexican style, although they made these for a while.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Vintage. Date and style as above. Re lamp shade, original would have been something like these. In looking for a replacement, do what ever you like/matches your decor but keep in mind proportions: shade should be tall-ish and almost the same diameter at top and bottom. Look for a drum-ish shape. Color could be black but stark white not going to work. Paper or textured shades might work better than fabric.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Landon

Landon Member

Thanks for the details

sabre123 likes this.
  7. Landon

Landon Member

Thanks for the pointers. Are those lamps yours, or were they found on the internet? Curious what the height of those shades are.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Internet. You can do a rough estimate of height from photograph. Looks like shade about same height as base.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted