Need help with marks on bowl

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Aug 1, 2021.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good evening all,

I am trying to research the marks on this bowl, so far I haven't had luck finding them...Any thoughts on country of origin or plated/silver? Sorry I can't get any better photos this is all I have to work with right now. For reference you can see the marks in the larger picture; they are on the top edge of the bowl:

10.jpg 11.jpg

cxgirl and judy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is that a 90 on the right side?

MrNate likes this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Possibly, it could also be a 30, and 80, or a worn down 800...

judy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Well, I don't think that looks like it ever had another 0 at the end. I vote plated and probably European therefore. Obviously with such a poor picture it could be something else.

judy and MrNate like this.
  5. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Siblye, Tanya, cxgirl and 5 others like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Aha! It was upside down! And probably has a 5 in that corner which has worn significantly?

7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

That’s what I’m seeing too. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll have it in my hands for closer inspection.

cxgirl and judy like this.
  8. Bakersgma

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Bakersgma and @MrNate, is this what you were referring to or did I pick the wrong one???

FUZZY MARK-COMP-2_00.jpg

judy and MrNate like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Yes, that's it.

Aquitaine, judy and MrNate like this.
  11. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I think it is the same mark (albeit poorly struck). So 800 silver?

MrNate likes this.
  12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

That’s how it looks to me… I still don’t have it in my hands, I should be able to confirm later today.

13. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

It was actually pretty hard to get good photos of the marks....spent a good 10 minutes trying and this is as good as it gets for now. But yes it was what we thought it was....and I got a "bonus" piece in the purchase. Side note: this is a perfect example of being diligent when you think something might be silver... when I asked for a photo of the bottom of this piece, here's what I got:

bottom.jpg

Notice on the bottom there's no noticeable marks...but oh that tone! That wonderful striation of tarnish...tarnish growing in the cracks...that soft glow of tarnish..The abnormal tarnish pattern with little hard tarnish spots....front and back the piece looked good for so many reasons. So after pouring over the photo of the bottom and coming to the conclusion that there were no marks to be found, I went back and observed the front of the piece more intently... and here's what it looked like from the original listing photo:

side.jpg

Be observant, be slow in your review of whether a piece is worth further investigation, and you too might find treasure along the way. I hope you enjoy the two pieces, they were part of a larger "silver plated" listing, and the price was very modest:

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

cxgirl and J Dagger like this.
  14. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Me gusta! Bien.

cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

eloquently said Mr Nate:)
    Well done on spotting the marks:)

16. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member