Featured Need help with origin and age of this antique frame

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by colonelmustard, Feb 14, 2021.

1. colonelmustard

colonelmustard Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone. I bought this small painting at an estate sale. The frame is pretty unique and pretty. It has feathers in relief all the way around it. It is 15 x 17 and has a worn gold finish on the front. I don't buy many frames but couldn't pass this up. Are these feathers carved or molded on there. I think it is hollow behind the feathers. Just wondering the process something like this was made and how old it might be.
    As always thanks for the help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pearlsnblume, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Not carved. Likely a type of Gesso (Plaster) veneer over a wood base.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’d think acanthus leaves, rather than feathers.

4. colonelmustard

Thanks for response...It doesn't feel like plaster at all and not delicate/fragile like plaster...does feel like wood...a thin wood design.

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  5. colonelmustard

You are right! Much better description

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Take a really close look at the top edge of the top of the frame. Get a magnifying glass, if you have one. You should see it's adhered to the wood at the edges in places. Irregular areas with a slightly lumpy appearance in places. Carving a frame like this would be painstakingly laborious. Meant for higher end pieces and people with a lot of expendable income back in the day.

Look up "Composition Frames"

Wait and see what others think.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I wouldn't expect that to be a carved frame. As above, gesso more likely.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted