Need help with Pewter piece

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Crystalina, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

Well, what I thought would be an easy search has taken all day and a serious case of eye strain! I believe this is a pewter piece. I took a jewelers loop and started scanning for hallmarks. I eventually found one on the rim of the bowl that says what I think is WHL. I don't really know anything at all about pewter, so I started looking it up. I came up with piece stating WHL but they are really only small animal figures and shells. Now I am more confused than I was before......sigh....

I guess I need help.....again. (shaking my head) finial to base of lid is 5.5", bowl to base is 7", bowl is 8.25" wide, base is 5".....so it's a big bowl overall. The line in the bottom of the bowl is a scratch.

I need to know for sure if this is who this is and if not, who it could be as well as era and where I can find it online for a value. Thanks for your help!

large covered pewter style dish with finial.jpg large covered pewter style dish with finial.jpg large covered pewter style dish finial.jpg large covered pewter style dish with finial.jpg large covered pewter style dish finial.jpg large covered pewter style dish inside bowl.jpg large covered pewter style dish close up of inside bowl.jpg large covered pewter style dish lid inside.jpg large covered pewter style dish bottom.jpg large covered pewter style dish pour weld.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like aluminum in your pics..........

3. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

I thought it might be aluminum, but its fairly heavy and Mom thought it might be pewter. It's not magnetic, so I ruled out a few metals. If it is aluminum, are you aware of any WHL marks on that type of metal? The bottom has me thrown because it has a green oxidation hew to it.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Could we see the mark?

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

We need to see what and where you see this "WHL." It's kind of unusual to have a tiny mark in an obscure place on an item that is clearly not made of a precious metal.

Great minds, SiS!

say_it_slowly likes this.
  6. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

This mark is SOOOO small. I had to use a 40x magnifying loop just to read it on the rim. I have no idea how I could get a pic of it. I will try to get a pic of where it si with my phone.

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but if it is that small that you need a 40x just to make it out, I sincerely doubt that it is any kind of intentional mark, more like scratches and your brain is interpreting as letters because that's what it wants to see. ;)

You should definitely try to get a picture, though, just in case.

8. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

The metal appears to have been peeled away and then stamped. It is 1/16". The pic I took is hard to see, but it is there. large covered pewter style dish initials.jpg

9. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

Can someone at least help me with what this actually is so I can search it and what era???? If it is aluminum, it is a heavier aluminum.

10. komokwa

Pardon me, but we're trying our best here...
    Aluminum, can be heavier than one thinks...
    I just had my Japanese style sword sharpened , and the guy told me it was actually aluminum......floored me, cuz it's heavy like steel..;)

11. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

Thanks for trying, I'm just trying to identify this piece, what it is and the era. I am no where near an expert. I just like vintage things and want to learn. I can't learn if I don't ask questions and know where to search online. I can't really leave the house to go do research because I take care of my invalid Mom 24/7, so online is all I have. Thank you for patience understanding and guidance.

12. komokwa

I'm no expert either....it just looks like spun aluminum from here.....
    if it were pewter I'd expect markings on the base as to percentage of tin....

sorry I can't help more..:(

13. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

I do appreciate your trying to help, thank you

komokwa likes this.