Featured Need Help with Two Oak(?) Splint Baskets

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joan, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me (1) approximately how old these two baskets are, (2) from which part of the country they may have originated--I bought them in Wisconsin, (3) if the grayish-bluish paint on the first basket looks original, (4) if they are called melon or buttocks basket, and (5) are they oak splint?
    Here's the painted basket (it's about 9"x8.5"x8" including handle):
    PaintedMelonBasket-2.jpg PaintedMelonBasket-3.jpg PaintedMelonBasket-4.jpg PaintedMelonBasket-5.jpg PaintedMelonBasket-6.jpg

The second basket is about 5"x5"x5" including handle:
    5x5x5MelonBasket-2.jpg 5x5x5MelonBasket-3.jpg 5x5x5MelonBasket-4.jpg 5x5x5MelonBasket-5.jpg 5x5x5MelonBasket-6.jpg

Fid, antidiem and Houseful like this.
  2. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I should add that I've looked at similar baskets online and it seems to me that these are older oak splint and nice quality baskets, but so many things can be made to look old nowadays, that I wanted to check with the experts on this forum.

antidiem likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes, Basket 2 is a buttocks basket.

For some reason your pictures and numbering seem confused.

antidiem and Joan like this.
  4. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry the pictures/numbering seem confused. The first five photos are of the larger gray-blue painted basket. The last 5 photos are of the smaller (5x5x5) basket.

Here are the 5 photos of the larger painted basket:

PaintedBasketGroup.jpg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here are the 5 photos of the 5x5x5 unpainted basket:
    5x5x5-BasketGroup.jpg

anundverkaufen, antidiem and Houseful like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very nice pictures.
    I concur with your findings
    why some were painted , personal taste...imo.
    I prefer the larger one that flares out to be called buttocks , and the smaller , where the rim is the widest point, to be seen as melon.

these can get very large or very small....and their history is well known and easy to find on the web and in many books.

The Gods eye or Cows eye on your baskets is not well defined leading me to speculate that they made for sale in the growing market of the early 1900's.

The condition though, is very good.
    Remember...the more ribs.....the better !!;);) :happy:

P1010026.JPG

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes everything said above is correct, your baskets are lovely. The second smaller one has the extra rib around the top edge, gives it eye appeal!

Joan likes this.
  7. komokwa

ps..... origin for the bulk of this style..... Appalachian.........white oak.

Joan likes this.
  8. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you komokwa -- all your detailed information is very informative. Your two large baskets are impressive.

komokwa likes this.
  9. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you antidiem. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the extra rib around the top edge of the smaller basket. The top edge of the larger basket looks the same to me.

10. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thanks komokwa.

komokwa likes this.
  11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Nice pair of Tutsi baskets, too. (@komokwa's top shelf in the cabinet.)

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Ok, it's not extra, is jsut stylish! ;)

13. komokwa

Yes & No !

is indeed extra....as it's the mark of an Appalachian made basket...

Here is an Amish Mellon basket..

[​IMG]
    no final rim rib......and a more fully executed cows eye.

2manybooks likes this.
  14. komokwa

[​IMG]

the Cherokee also make a Mellon ribbed basket without the extra top rib....
    ( what's here is a lid..)

15. komokwa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

xtra rib or not..........I luv the look and workwomanship of these gathering baskets...:hungry:
    :hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::joyful::joyful::joyful:

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted