Need help with two pieces I am purchasing today

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ashley Felton, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

0F04A752-15E8-46A5-B77E-1ACAFDE74D14.jpeg 735F6888-FA50-4537-8502-64886C6951A9.jpeg Found a guy with these two pieces...the blue topaz? pendant has a 925 and a anchor marking and the heart with the design has the tag with the letter B ...any info? I was thinking Birmingham Silver? Any idea on value of these two so I don’t get ripped off???
    871CE444-8664-4849-A7B5-B1F780AB2A2E.jpeg 86905D72-34CD-4D25-9ABB-FCC23D94F555.jpeg

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

First & second photos do not look like the same piece. Can you unconfuse me?

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not Birmingham. The blue stone is modern 925 silver. The other may or may not be silver but is also recent, given that lobster claw clasp.

If you're thinking resale, they're not huge value.

scoutshouse, kyratango, judy and 5 others like this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Not Birmingham silver for sure. Probably blue glass and fairly modern. The heart thing is modern and it seems not precious metal. I do not see much value.

I should type faster

5. Ashley Felton

Oh really? I was told the makers date mark of a cursive uppercase B was early 1800s and that the anchor mark on the blue gem piece was Birmingham. Also said online when I verified?

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  6. Ashley Felton

And they are the same piece. The small heart is at the back of the necklace by the clasp

7. Ashley Felton

i was under the impression that a 925 with a anchor was Birmingham silver?

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hi Ashley -
    I would hold off buying these, unless they are super inexpensive.
    It appears the blue piece was added to a contemporary necklace.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Now, I'm confused. Is the blue piece on the necklace with the heart?
    You said they are one necklace.

If not, the heart necklace is contemporary pewter out of China.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's a lobster claw clasp on the chain so it's no older than twenty years. It is NOT a British hallmark - you've some kind of modern maker's name on the chain.

The context in which an anchor and a cursive B has meaning, is when they're part of a full hallmark. Those aren't.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. The blue stone looks suspiciously like glass.
    Lobster clasps became popular in the 1980s-90s.

12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

If the piece with the anchor was from Birmingham, England, there should have been more marks, a rampant lion for sterling and a date letter code. The Brits are very strict about silver and gold marks, take a look at this site, it is a great resource:
    https://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's Brighton brand jewelry, and most of their stuff is costume. If it's hallmarked for sterling then it is. Otherwise not. Made in China either way, most likely. They make mostly costume pieces, but do make some sterling. It's sold here in shopping malls. The heart with the B on it is their trademark.

The blue one looks Chinese if that mark above the 925 is what it looks like.

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Learn first....buy later....
    The info you can get here is 1000% better than what someone's telling you out there......

16. Ashley Felton

Thanks for your help! He later told me he only wanted $30 for both pieces which I didn’t think was bad at all considering they were both pretty

But he did try to pass them off as being antique AT FIRST.

scoutshouse likes this.
  17. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

what did he originally try to sell them for?? (just curious)
    I wouldn't pay 30 if I was reselling considering the heart one is modern and not silver, but if you're buying them for yourself and you like the style, I guess why not! The heart necklace is very cute- I have a thing for cutesy heart jewelry haha
    Disclaimer- I don't resell so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, just basing it off prices I've seen on similar things =)

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The Brighton piece cost about $30 new, so two for $30 isn't horrible. Resale on those on FeeBay runs $15-$35 depending. The ones on cord run around $15, and the ones strung on beads go for $30-35. The two for $30 is about going rate, but for resale he's too high.

Draft saved Draft deleted