Need help with valuation of 1950’s Dixie Furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by JVB in NC, Feb 25, 2020.

1. JVB in NC

JVB in NC New Member

I would very much appreciate some help in valuing a Dixie walnut twin bedroom suite that has been in my family since the late 1950s. Kids don’t want it and really didn’t realize it had value until I started researching a little. Thought it would be better to go to the experts on this site. I am wanting to sell. All in used condition with some scratching and could use refinishing. Many thanks in advance and a blessed day to all!

5 drawer Chest 7507
    9 drawer dresser w/mirror 7503
    2 drawer night stand 7521
    2 twin bed head/footboard and frame 7551

Colors appear different on some items due to change in daylight.

Attached Files:

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

https://www.chairish.com/maker/dixie
    I would think from what I am learning here, that the value of "brown" furniture is way down. However, there are always people that love what you love. I think it would also depend on what part of the country you live in.
    Let the REAL experts weigh in.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

4. JVB in NC

JVB in NC New Member

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Value will depend upon your location. The scripted "Dixie" logo in the drawer would be correct for the late 1950s, I have a bedroom set from Dixie too.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the asking price....... what was the sold price..?
    Folks ask for high prices all the time.....
    maybe some twerp comes along and gives it to em.....maybe not !

7. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Unlike the other link to Dixie furniture, these have a MCM look, so will appeal to those furnishing with MCM. Prices for these should therefore be higher and at the top range of what Dixie furniture sells for. That said, Dixie did not employ well-known high end designers, so it is american factory MCM, which is less sought after than Danish designer teak/walnut MCM.

Many of the chairish.com sellers also sell on 1stdibs, and prices on both are usually unrealistically high, plus they are usually in perfect condition, so you should take the prices on both those sites with a grain of salt. A lot of what you can sell for depends on where you live. Assuming you will be selling via craigslist, the best approach is probably to spend some time looking in your local craigslist for other american MCM furniture, since that will be a good indication of what you can sell for.

verybrad, komokwa and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted