Need ID help with antique desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MTswirls, Nov 30, 2019.

1. MTswirls

MTswirls Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! Happy (late) Thanksgiving!

I'm trying to learn about this desk. I believe it is an antique, but I'd like to have a better idea of its age. I checked it thoroughly, but there isn't anything to indicate who produced it. I'm also curious about what type of wood it is made of if anyone has any thoughts on that. Would the style be considered victorian, or something different?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help! I really appreciate it :)

IMG_1090.jpeg IMG_1085.jpeg IMG_1084.jpeg IMG_1087.jpeg IMG_1096.jpeg IMG_1093.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If I were guessing, I'd say late 60s "French" rococo and not antique. Just old.

3. MTswirls

Ok, thank you!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree, not antique. Probably post-war European. Chair could be a bit older. The desk and chair don't really match but do go nicely with each other.

5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

6. MTswirls

I just now realized the desk and chair are not really a set. Do you think someone refinished these pieces so they would match each other? I assumed the finish was original because it seems like it would be a pain to refinish the pieces to make them look like an antique set. They definitely seem like they're at least 40 years old.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The finish was probably common at the time. They may also have been made as coordinates from a "line" of furniture rather than as exact matches.

MTswirls likes this.
  8. MTswirls

Ok, that would make sense! Thanks :)

Draft saved Draft deleted