Need ID help with stamps on Mexican Jewelry

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MTswirls, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MTswirls

MTswirls Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to discover who made this bracelet and necklace. The stamps indicate that they're sterling silver and from Mexico. I'm having trouble interpreting the rest of the markings. I've seen similar holly bell bracelets online and most of them claim to be from the 1940's. Does this bracelet seem like it could be as old as that?

Thank you :happy:

IMG_8569.jpeg IMG_9263.jpeg IMG_8567.jpeg IMG_9260.jpeg IMG_8904.jpeg

2. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

The markings on the bracelet.. is it TM or TN or TH ? Sometimes they are hard to read..
    My understanding is that the letter T is from Taxco, the N/M would be the first initial of the last name of the silversmith and the number is his position on the silversmiths list. More information here (I can't copy the information) https://www.925-1000.com/mexican_marks.html
    Can you, please, show us pictures of the necklace too ? Sometimes it helps.. :)

MTswirls and i need help like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those "similar" holly bell bracelets (if they have exactly the same style of marking) cannot be made before 1979. You're right about what the 2 letters are for, but I'm wondering whether that second letter is more like an R or an A. maybe an H? It's too bad that the "list" is woefully incomplete.

MTswirls and i need help like this.
  4. MTswirls

It's hard to say which one, but it's either "TN" or "TH". The canteen on the necklace is missing its lid :( Here is a picture of it:
    IMG_9275.jpeg

Xristina likes this.
  5. MTswirls

The stampings were different on the other bracelets. I just noticed that the several I found online were all from the 1940's, so I thought maybe they were popular during that time. The second letter is tricky, but I think it's a N or H.

Xristina likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You've got it in hand, so you must have a better look than I do. Since the smiths list for that period is so short, it's unlikely you'll ever know who he or she was.

MTswirls and Xristina like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted