Need info about a huge lacquerware bowl

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Northern Lights Lodge, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi Antiquer's friends;
    This is a fairly recent find (couple summers ago). I have done some research and I "THINK" I know what it is and how old it is. I purchased it at a barn sale in a rural mid-west area for a song.

It measures 25 1/4" across by 9" deep. It has several metal strap bands that hold it all together. They appear to have a black wash on them. For it's size it is relatively lightweight. The bottom is painted black and aside from a small small flaked paint chips and a dented scratch; has no signs of wear in the underbelly part - only the bottom lip is beat up.

The lacquer is a rich dark tomato red and has some flaking and peeling. There is one small wedge shape wood missing from the lip. Obviously has some cracks. It has great patina.

I'm curious to know if your id's or suggestions fit with my guess. Ultimately, I'd love to sell it...if anyone has a possible venue address? I know there is at least another floating around in the area; but I was unable to find out if it sold.

Thanks for your help!
    Cheerio,
    Leslie

IMG_4469.JPG IMG_4471.JPG IMG_4473.JPG IMG_4474.JPG IMG_4472.JPG

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Asian; Not too old; import store stock

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was going to say Pier One, about 25 years ago but it could be less.

5. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Ok then! :) You all seem to be agreed... so we have a consensus! Thank you all so much!

Cheerio Leslie

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree too - that weathering and aging is far too considered. It's also in the wrong places.

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

LOL Bear, thanks for explaining why! ;)

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted