need more info

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rink28, Aug 30, 2018.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Hi i acquired this at the thrift store today. im very new to this glassware/pottery stuff so be easy on me lol. im not sure if this is Chinese or japanese? also if any one knew the maker? if anyone has any info that would be great thanks! jap1.jpg jap2.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Wish I could help, but I haven't a clue if that mark is right side up, side ways or upside down................sorry!! But it's a lovely looking vase!! Don't forget to let others know the size too!!!!:):)

sabre123 and judy like this.
  3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks aquitaine !! It measures 8 in tall and 3 3/4 in wide. I have no clue if the mark is upside down or not haha. I thought it looked like it could be right side up so I just took the gamble and took a picture. If anyone needs more pics I'll take them. Thanks again!

judy likes this.
  4. MG77

MG77 Member

Here goes...if you have a smartphone and if you have the Google Translate app, Chinese to English, select camera, align the lettering in the test box as shown and touch the camera icon. The app will sort of scan the text and presto! Give you an answer. Easy-peasy...It might take you several tries, especially not being sure which end is up for the characters. I would guess that your photo is showing them upside down. Have good lighting and a steady hand.
    I used the above to translate some characters on my mil's collection of Chinese embroidered pictures and watercolors. It worked fairly well, there is always something lost in translation....Good luck!

sabre123 and judy like this.
  5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks MG77 I might have to try that because I'm searching for Japanese/Chinese maker marks online and there are 1000s of different marks and symbols. Although I'm wondering what the difference is between the blue maker mark and the red maker marks that I'm seeing online

judy likes this.
  6. MG77

MG77 Member

7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

judy and i need help like this.
  8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks sabre123 I'll definitely try that too!

9. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

MG77 i tried the app but it kept saying no english text was found! not sure why i even tried it in the japanese translator and kept saying the same thing

judy likes this.
  10. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

sabre123 i tried using the online site but do i have to download anything? also im not sure if my picture is right side up because after i submit the image and hit translate it automatically takes me to google and it comes up with a error symbol and says "too many redirects"

11. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Do you know if it’s chinese or Japanese?

Draft saved Draft deleted